Sign in to follow this  
Stormin

First mod to the Sears.

Had to do a little mod to the Sears today. On the Saturday night drive around at Newby Hall, one of the bonnet hinge pins broke. Temporary fix with a cable tie kept things in place. When I unloaded on returning home, I found the other one had broken. Rough ground and 113 miles on the trailer proved a bit much for them.

So this afternoon two stronger hinges where fitted. Need to be painted yet and that will most likely be done tomorrow.

These should be fine if not as nice as the ones Alan made.

37 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Had to do a little mod to the Sears today. On the Saturday night drive around at Newby Hall, one of the bonnet hinge pins broke. Temporary fix with a cable tie kept things in place. When I unloaded on returning home, I found the other one had broken. Rough ground and 113 miles on the trailer proved a bit much for them.

So this afternoon two stronger hinges where fitted. Need to be painted yet and that will most likely be done tomorrow.

These should be fine if not as nice as the ones Alan made.

I did 300 miles with it in my van and nothing broke, I must be more a gentle driver. :P

Below is a photo of the hinge mod. 

I think the reason the pins broke, was a combination of the rough ground on the Saturday night drive round at Newby. The cattle grid we had to cross to and from the horticultural section. And the gap twixt bonnet and grill. All the weight of the front of the bonnet being on the hinge pins.

You can see in the photo two square blocks on the grill top outer corners. Those are rubber and now support the bonnet front.

In hind sight, I could have just left the original, and better looking, hinges on and just replaced the pins. :rolleyes:

DSCF0103.JPG.26c99a2bf5032487847fb9de4593f207.JPG

And before any critical comments, a bit of filler required yet to cover where the old hinges fitted. :P