Sign in to follow this  
Potash123

Hayter 21 carb strip ?

5 HP B & S Hayter 21. 

I have give the engine a good clean and was going to get started on the carb. I normally find that I can remove the tank then the carb on most Hayters. I have released the rear tank bolt, but the front bracket appears to be welded to the tank and is fixed to the machine by 

two of the six head bolts. I don't want to start undoing head bolts at this stage. I can see three screws holding the carb to the tank, one I cannot even get to due to the throttle mechanism and linkages. Can someone please offer some practical advise so I can work on this carb please.

Thank you in anticipation.

Just get stuck in and remove the two head bolts and pull the tank and carb off together. Take the carb off and clean the screens on the pick up tubes, fit a new diaphragm and probably a new 0 ring where the carb slides onto the inlet manifold as they tend to harden and flatten. Check the tightness of the two 5/16af hex head screws holding the manifold to the block. If they are slack it's probably time for a new manifold gasket.

Many thanks for reply, you seem confident that I won't break the head gasket seal. I will do as you suggest. What did we do without forums and wise men. Regards Colin

Took the tank off as planned and serviced the carb, no issues there. The tank is full of rust and crap, the fluid that came out was more like syrup. I will rinse it round and hope the left over rubbish sinks to the bottom and stays there. I normally restore these machines but will sell this as a going concern as it is so solid.

Cleaned the tank with brick cleaner, then paraffin. Filled the tank, put a drop of fuel in the carb and it actually started first time. It then ran off along my drive and hit my car before it stopped. These old beasts have some power. Has anyone got the  B & S part number for the air filter please. Regards.

Edited by Potash123
More text.

Is it the elongated air filter with one corner rounded off? I got one for the 5hp B&S on my Billy Goat. See my thread on it. Is it the same? I've the invoice in the workshop.

5 hours ago, Potash123 said:

Cleaned the tank with brick cleaner, then paraffin. Filled the tank, put a drop of fuel in the carb and it actually started first time. It then ran off along my drive and hit my car before it stopped. These old beasts have some power. Has anyone got the  B & S part number for the air filter please. Regards.

Take care with " brick cleaner" as it will attack any soldered joints used in assembling some fuel tanks.

Only left the cleaner in the tank for short while, then thoroughly rinsed it. Stormin, My filter is not like the one in your thread. Mine is 5HP and more like a larger version of the Sprint filter, similar shape. Unfortunately I cannot upload photos.Regards ..

8 hours ago, Potash123 said:

Only left the cleaner in the tank for short while, then thoroughly rinsed it. Stormin, My filter is not like the one in your thread. Mine is 5HP and more like a larger version of the Sprint filter, similar shape. Unfortunately I cannot upload photos.Regards ..

This may help with filter identification

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tbnlvw6qyw6qy94/Briggs sponge air filter elements0001.pdf?dl=0

Thanks Wristpin, spotted the one I want. Off to Ernest Doe's re part number 270447. This grand old machine is starting first time .Regards.

Edited by Potash123