Sign in to follow this  
Potash123

Sprint B & S smoking too much.

My little Sprint engine came off a rusty Hayter and was running fine when it went into storage. Just fitted it into another machine. New filter, plug and oil. It started first time and there are plumes of white smoke pouring out filling the neighbours gardens. It sounds absolutely fine otherwise.

I did fit a brand new pattern carb during the build. Could it be that the main jet is too large on this replacement carb. As I said white smoke. The oil is Classic SAE 30. Many thanks.

Over fuelling in a petrol engine will give Black smoke. White smoke equals oil burning. How was the engine positioned during storage - could the muffler or air filter be full of oil?

Edited by Wristpin
added "or air filter"

Just re-read the original post - " oil is Classic 30"

To the best of my knowledge,  that is a non detergent oil for older slow revving classic cars . Briggs and Stratton have always recommended the use of a detergent oil for its superior qualities particularly relating to cleaning and cooling.

5 hours ago, Potash123 said:

Would seem to be oil in the exhaust. I have laid it down and got some out. How long shall I fog the neighbours till it drys out. LOL.

You've got to get the muffler hot enough to burn it out; possibly quarter of an hour of full throttle running.

Yep a Sterkins, Looks like a Mountfield, expensive controls and a B & S Quattro. I thought the same as you, got it for £10, body rotten, good engine ready to go on one of my Hayterettes. I can't even find Sterkins on Google. We learn every day.

4 hours ago, Potash123 said:

Yep a Sterkins, Looks like a Mountfield, expensive controls and a B & S Quattro. I thought the same as you, got it for £10, body rotten, good engine ready to go on one of my Hayterettes. I can't even find Sterkins on Google. We learn every day.

No issue with learning but not sure how I've got through forty years in the mower business and never come across one. Post an image please.

EDIT

Well, well

https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=Sterkins+mower&tbm=isch&imgil=eO0pmj13r-TC5M%3A%3B_TmvEYGy7rg8IM%3Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fes.wallapop.com%252Fitem%252Fcortacesped-sterkins-honda-41663272&source=iu&pf=m&fir=eO0pmj13r-TC5M%3A%2C_TmvEYGy7rg8IM%2C_&usg=__dhPueyTOUe2AkyzWJRsaiLGYAd0%3D&biw=1152&bih=581&dpr=1.25&ved=0ahUKEwj75P-MpebUAhXFLcAKHQVODWwQyjcISg&ei=oqRWWfuLHMXbgAaFnLXgBg#imgrc=eO0pmj13r-TC5M:

........  and there seems to be a Sterwin as well!!

Edited by Wristpin
Learnt some thing!!!!!!

That's the one, top left hand picture. No point me advertising a good grass box from one of these. LOL

Edited by Potash123

Perhaps your comment about possible Mountfield connections is worth further exploration  - will a Mountfield bag fit, or is the chassis too far gone to make it worthwhile?