WestwoodGazelle

Getting the 'Horse back on course

Hi all,

I have begun some restoration work on my 1975 Wheelhorse C-100. This was my first ever mower and I have owned this tractor since I was 15 when I purchased it for £300 (I am now 26). It was for sale with a local garden machinery place, my mother had said I was allowed to buy a lawnmower so long as it had proper/good breaks, and I had saved up for one. I remember seeing a red Wheelhorse outside the shop, and finding it a really nice looking machine (and it had a proper break!), and after speaking to the owner of the place he said he had one identical but a little rough "upstairs". They kept their mowers stored in this sort of old wooden barn attic with a hydraulic lift to access, really quite novel, I can remember going up there, and amongst all these modern plasticy lawn-tractors was this really cool looking Wheelhorse, paint all peeling and dented, but to me it was amazing. Here's a picture of when I got it home: 

unnamed.jpg

I repainted it in 2010 and did some repairs, and although the finish was OK, it's picked up some scratches, wear and corrosion from years of use and storage. I have decided to repaint it now, as I would like to put decals on it and really finish off the restoration. It won't be as perfect as some examples on here, but it should be a really good looking Wheelhorse. I also wanted to take the opportunity to remove some dents in the bonnet, it is hard to see from the picture above but someone might have crashed it or crashed something into it at one point because the grill was dented in a few places. I mostly fixed this in 2010 but I wanted to get the last little dents along the side of the grille sorted this time. 

Wheel Horse 1

I will also look to get some of the electrical issues fixed, working front lights, plus add a little side-light and rear light a friend got me. I will also refurbish the seat, and am thinking of attempting to make it road legal as I live in the middle of nowhere and there's lots of safe and quiet lanes around and it would be useful to move things with the trailer.

I did have a question though, do you like the black chassis, or think it should be red as original? 

Jon

40 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Nowt' wrong with a black chassis, Jon. Have you seen my C-121? The Black Horse? If you think it's all right black, that's all that matters. Anyway, red and black go well together. :thumbs:

Thanks Stormin I agree it does have a good look! :) I am sure I remember seeing the Black Horse a while back and it looking very good, but if you have any pics to hand I would love to have another look ;)

Hi all, I have made some progress, I have removed all the rust, and painted the Horse:) The quality of finish isn't too bad and I have added the Wheelhorse decals (thanks Mark!). She needs the seat recovering and some engine/electrical work,and the wheels painting- once that is done I will upload a video. But for now, here is a pic! 

DSC00434

On 31/07/2017 at 10:33 AM, neil said:

Looking good , where did you get the horse mascot from 

Hi Neil, it is a Glenn Petit ornament, not sure if you know him but it may be best to contact him directly if you want one, more info is here: 

http://www.wheelhorsestables.com/forum/glen-pettit-restoration-parts/891-products

On 31/07/2017 at 10:53 AM, meadowfield said:

looks fab - well done.

yes where did the hood ornament come from?  is it a Glenn Petit one?

Hi Mark, thank you! :) Yes it is a Glenn Petit one, I think they look great. I am not sure if he has any for sale at the moment but this page might help: http://www.wheelhorsestables.com/forum/glen-pettit-restoration-parts/891-products

Edited by WestwoodGazelle
Clarifying what I said

UPDATE: I do not believe Glenn is still doing the hood ornaments (at least for now, see post) as he is in the process of trying to make ones that can be chromed. He may have some epoxy ones (like mine) for sale but I am not sure: http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/38201-08-hood-ornaments/

Edited by WestwoodGazelle

Hi all, the Wheelhorse is now running very smoothly, and the electrical and charging issues are fixed. I still need to touch up the wheels and sort out the seat, but for now here's some pictures from a nice autumn drive (making the most of a break in the weather after storm Brian! :lol:) :wh:

DSC00493DSC00503DSC00506