HeadExam

Allis 416H deck

I know things were going to good when I saw this deck in such great shape... and then I notice a little wobble in the center drive pulley. I knew it was buggered the minute I made the first turn, you always feel it, but I was not prepared for the buggered key way slot in the shaft. that was a ball crusher. Fortunately I have two nice parts decks with good arbors. This will get a coat of OSPHO ( http://www.ospho.com/ ) followed by rust inhibitive primer and two coats of industrial enamel with hardener.

The 48" deck on my 1973 Allis Chalmers was needing some attention and new blades. While it was off I dug out in the barn and found I had three other decks for this tractor as well, another 48" and two 42" decks, one of the 42" decks was like new except for a wobbly center pulley that turned to be a can of worms. The previous owner/mechanic had used an air ratchet to install the top pulley on the center spindle and ended up cross threading the nut, keeping it from drawing up tight. This caused the key way to waller out the groove in the arbor shaft and ruining the shaft. Since they stopped making parts for this in 1974 I was lucky to have some extra decks and one even had a fairly new center arbor. I have three of these rare Allis built tractors and fortunately I acquired some extra parts and implements. I refurbished the 42" deck this week and will start on the 48" deck tomorrow. After taking these decks apart and cleaning/sanding them they get a coat of OSPHO, which is one of the best rust removers/reformers ever made, then two coats of etching primer with hardener and two coats of industrial enamel with reducer and poly converter hardener. Not bad for a 44 year old mower deck.

20170716_201031.jpg

20170716_201051.jpg

20170716_201115.jpg

20170721_173735.jpg

20170721_173745.jpg

20170721_173759.jpg

20170721_173805.jpg

20170721_173821.jpg