Rayp

Kohler engine spares

1 hour ago, Stormin said:

Beat me to it, Richard. I use Meetens as well.        Can't fault the service so far.

Just happened to be on here with a mug of tea at the time!.

I agree with the service level. I've used them for over 35 years when they were originally in London, back when you wrote your order in the form of a letter or telephoned them.

Never had a problem. I find I could throw all sorts of obscure part numbers at them and even now Paul always comes up with the parts (genuine OEM).

I do also use others, even in the U.S. 

Thank you all for your replies.  I emailed Meetens, but to date have had no response.  Subsequently I emailed Mike Hitchins and he replied the following day asking me whether I wanted chrome or cast iron piston rings. What's the difference, apart from price?  

Depends on the condition of your engine Bore.

If it is only lightly worn and been honed/de-glazed, then look to use Cast Iron .....they will bed in quicker. They should also be available in STD +0-003" oversize to fit in slightly worn Bore. They will also bed in better if the bore is slightly 'out-of-round'.

Chrome rings , like Norm says will last longer, but the bore must be good i.e. straight, parallel and Honed.  They won't tolerate dirty Oil.

They are suited for high compression and performance conditions  and take a long time to bed in, which means it will probably use more oil.      

If you have a means of measuring the bore it will determine the best course of action. Without measurements it is a bit hit and miss. I think that Anglo T may have the decimal point misplaced as I read his post as being +3 thou. Iron rings usually come in +10,20 and 30.

If the wear is within limits and a "service ring set" is available I would go for that as they usually include multi piece rings with expanders etc to accommodate wear.

This extract from the Kohler manual may be of assistance.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2fmi9539dp0f0xq/Kohler Piston rings etc0001.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2djv5e4hi2ppx6k/Kohler Specifications and wear tolerances0001.pdf?dl=0

Edited by Wristpin
Spec sheet added

1 hour ago, Wristpin said:

If you have a means of measuring the bore it will determine the best course of action. Without measurements it is a bit hit and miss. I think that Anglo T may have the decimal point misplaced as I read his post as being +3 thou. Iron rings usually come in +10,20 and 30.

If the wear is within limits and a "service ring set" is available I would go for that as they usually include multi piece rings with expanders etc to accommodate wear.

Yes, most likely get away with a  Standard Service Ring Set if Ray is lucky..  

No decimal point in wrong place Angus. If Ray's Bore is worn past the Std tolerance Limits, there is a small chance Paul at Meetens may just have a Piston/Ring set of +3 thou in stock (if anyone has them he will).

This  will allow just a de glaze/Hone and avoids a Rebore/Hone and requiring as you say  +10,20 or 30 thou oversize-

Rings.JPG.e238b7e01735b485300941be4ce19740.JPG

I used Chromed edge Rings on my 12hp as it was rebored +20thou and honed to the correct angle of score marks for that type of ring to perform properly-

DSC00628.JPG.5011ce451903ff3fdb8335dd907d1f3e.JPG

Regards

+3 rings. - I stand corrected but have never seen them mentioned elsewhere until today!  However there is a thread on the Red Square forum with a suggestion that they were a factory fit on production engines that were right at the limit of the measurement for a standard bore.

All seems a little strange.

I have seen that manual before, but I don't know what version of Engine Manual the links point to. If it is ENS-575, then it was superceded to Kohler K series Manual TP2379 (revised in 1992).

Piston/Ring Sizes mentioned in sections 1 and 11, the latter referring to Cylinder maintenance.    

My manual is considerably older than the one that you refer to, probably late 70s. No reference to +3 in my manual and in the attached link someone is questioning why " they stopped offering the +3"; so somewhere along the line that option came and went.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/46585-new-kohler-piston-rings-question/#comment-429666

Anyone here (old enough to ) remember Cords piston rings for worn engines?   They are still available for some engines. I bought a set for a Kubota petrol lump on a Ransomes a year or so back and they provided an instant cure to smoking and oil burning without the need for a rebore. Machine sold - end of !!!!

2 hours ago, Wristpin said:

My manual is considerably older than the one that you refer to, probably late 70s. No reference to +3 in my manual and in the attached link someone is questioning why " they stopped offering the +3"; so somewhere along the line that option came and went.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/46585-new-kohler-piston-rings-question/#comment-429666

Anyone here (old enough to ) remember Cords piston rings for worn engines?   They are still available for some engines. I bought a set for a Kubota petrol lump on a Ransomes a year or so back and they provided an instant cure to smoking and oil burning without the need for a rebore. Machine sold - end of !!!!

They're still around and being offered for sale, at least in U.S.

I know it probably won't help Ray much, but if the price fits one's pocket, then you can obtain them. So if only for the sake of enquiry, ask Meetens if they have Kohler part number 4787412-s in their Dusty Shelf stock. 

Yes, I remember them. Also remember my Dad saying he fitted them in his 1930s Morris 8 Tourer back around 1960.

33 minutes ago, Anglo Traction said:

Also remember my Dad saying he fitted them in his 1930s Morris 8 Tourer back around 1960.

My fathers first car was a 1930s Morris 8 saloon.

1 hour ago, Stormin said:

I remember Cords. Sadly.  Where did you get them, Angus? My C-125 smokes and uses oil a bit. Been thinking of stripping the engine and rebuilding it.

http://www.mayphil.com/creo_files/upload/files/cords_brochure.pdf

They were not set up for dealing with "private buyers" but with a little persuasion the deal was done . Knew that there was a good reason to bookmark the catalogue!

Page 55!

Edited by Wristpin
additional info

I have been following this interesting thread for a few days now and have noticed that the use of Chrome piston rings is suggested.

A word of warning is needed here, Chrome piston rings should not be used in a Chrome cylinder liner, Chrome rings should be used in a cast liner. If in doubt check with who ever you source your parts from they should be able to sort out the correct parts.

Re Cord rings yes remember them well they used to be readilly available and I used them to keep our old Austin A40 going for many years before it was treated to a rebore then it went from standard size to plus 60 thou oversize in one leap! I believe Cords (or rings of similar design) are fitted as original equipment in some engines to this day.