HeadExam

McCulloch MiniMac 1 Automatic

Its a circa 1972 McCulloch MiniMac 1 Automatic and at 2.95 kg, I know it wont be felling any trees, but it might make a good limbing saw. It seems the fuel line is toast and if I can get it running I will spring for a new chain and spark plug. It was free, so it was for me, I have a sucker, er buyer, that is interested, lol

20170826_181751.jpg

20170826_181804.jpg

20170826_181746.jpg

5 hours ago, HeadExam said:

Its a circa 1972 McCulloch MiniMac 1 Automatic and at 2.95 kg, I know it wont be felling any trees, but it might make a good limbing saw. 

Great little Chainsaw. Look's like you have one of the early versions, as I believe that is a 1/4" pitch Chain on it. Introduced in 1970. Could not find stats on an Auto Oil Feed version, but this link may show up a lot of similarities and info if you sell it on-   McCulloch

If you keep it, may find it difficult to obtain a 1/4" pitch Saw Chain, but you may have luck in converting it to 3/8" (economically) like I did with my 71 Beaird-Poulan XXV.

They changed over to 3/8" later on in '72'- ish on yours.

Nice find, I would keep it :thumbs:.

4 hours ago, Anglo Traction said:

Great little Chainsaw. Look's like you have one of the early versions, as I believe that is a 1/4" pitch Chain on it. Introduced in 1970. Could not find stats on an Auto Oil Feed version, but this link may show up a lot of similarities and info if you sell it on-   McCulloch

If you keep it, may find it difficult to obtain a 1/4" pitch Saw Chain, but you may have luck in converting it to 3/8" (economically) like I did with my 71 Beaird-Poulan XXV.

They changed over to 3/8" later on in '72'- ish on yours.

Nice find, I would keep it :thumbs:.

Thank you very much for the info, yes I saw in literature it was 1/4" pitch, but on eBay they were selling 3/8 chain for it, wasn't sure how to do that, right now the chain is on backwards, so I doubt it will cut very good. They made a MiniMac 1 and a MiniMac 1 Automatic, but I haven't seen another auto version either

Found an Ad for the Chainsaw in the 'Practical Mechanic' of 1973 . .......WARNING.....You will likely find yourself reading all of the magazine by scrolling up and down. It can be addictive to see what Technology/goods were being introduced (U.S) at the time.  You could spend hours. I hope the Link works - 

Chainsaw Ad

1 hour ago, Anglo Traction said:

Found an Ad for the Chainsaw in the 'Practical Mechanic' of 1973 . .......WARNING.....You will likely find yourself reading all of the magazine by scrolling up and down. It can be addictive to see what Technology/goods were being introduced (U.S) at the time.  You could spend hours. I hope the Link works - 

Chainsaw Ad

Thanks Richard, I have "Popular Mechanics" saved as a favorites in my google books and magazines. I spend hours reading articles from the 1940 up into the later 1970. They also have a magazine called Practical Machinist.

Mini Mac 1 Ad.PNG