Triumph66

Sisis Auto Greenman

I recently bought an old Sisis Auto Greenman for my gardening business. When I worked for the National Trust many years  I used the various Sisis models such as the Sisis Auto Turfman which is the next model up from the Greenman. The Greenman is more suitable for domestic gardens as it will fit through most standard garden gates. I bought mine off EBay a few weeks ago for a very reasonable price. I got a few a customers who will will need their lawns to be aerated due to compaction. My Sisis came with Hollow tines, slitter and spring toned rake. It was a non runner but I soon got it running after draining the stale fuel and put in fresh petrol with a dash of Redex. I also cleaned the plug too.  After a few goes it fired into life. I have since ordered an air filter and will change the oil. I have cable tied the loose clutch cable and pressured washed the machine as well as lubricating the chain. Here are some photos  of it when it came to me off EBay. I will post up some new photos of it when it's in action. 

IMG_1853.PNG

IMG_1854.PNG

IMG_1855.PNG

IMG_1856.PNG

IMG_1857.PNG

IMG_1858.PNG

IMG_1859.PNG

1 hour ago, Anglo Traction said:

Good purchase of a very handy machine. First B&S engine I've seen with a 6-1 Reduction Gear Drive Unit fitted :thumbs:.

Is it SAE 30 for the gear drive or EP90?

11 hours ago, Triumph66 said:

Is it SAE 30 for the gear drive or EP90?

3 hours ago, Stormin said:

Most likely SAE140 like the wheel Horse gearboxes. But EP90 will be ok as well I would think. That's what I use in G/B's.

Wish it was a straight forward answer, but it depends on whether the Engine is Aluminium or Cast Iron and engine size (Model Number)!.

Surprisingly, it requires SAE 10w-30. 30w is accepted use in this Country as in the engine when used in average temps.

Oil Change periods differ also with Engine size/type :- 

If your Aluminium Engine Model Number is 130000 or LESS, then it states- you only need to check 'n' top up the Red'c'n Gear level every 100 hours!.

Ali Models 140000 upwards, it states- change the Red'c'n Oil every 100 hours.

If the engine is Cast Iron, the Red'c'n Gear is lubricated using the Engine Crankcase Oil, so dealt with during Engine Oil checks 'n' change rate  (25 hrs on all types). 

Points to note is not to mix up the Fill/Drain Plugs The Fill Plug should have a breather vent hole. 

Regards.       

12 hours ago, Stormin said:

Most likely SAE140 like the wheel Horse gearboxes. But EP90 will be ok as well I would think. That's what I use in G/B's.

Thanks Norm.

8 hours ago, Anglo Traction said:

Wish it was a straight forward answer, but it depends on whether the Engine is Aluminium or Cast Iron and engine size (Model Number)!.

Surprisingly, it requires SAE 10w-30. 30w is accepted use in this Country as in the engine when used in average temps.

Oil Change periods differ also with Engine size/type :- 

If your Aluminium Engine Model Number is 130000 or LESS, then it states- you only need to check 'n' top up the Red'c'n Gear level every 100 hours!.

Ali Models 140000 upwards, it states- change the Red'c'n Oil every 100 hours.

If the engine is Cast Iron, the Red'c'n Gear is lubricated using the Engine Crankcase Oil, so dealt with during Engine Oil checks 'n' change rate  (25 hrs on all types). 

Points to note is not to mix up the Fill/Drain Plugs The Fill Plug should have a breather vent hole. 

Regards.       

Thanks Richard.

Both very helpful feedback. I will have a look tomorrow at the serial numbers#

Great looking and useful piece of equipment that should keep you out of trouble (and the pub) for a good portion of your free time. Is that a replacement engine or is this a post 1980 machine? The model, type, and code numerals contain the date of engine manufacturer.

Most certainly a post 1980 machine; I suspect a mid to late 90s machine. 

I drained the oil oil this morning and iit was utterly black and very thin. The engine is cast iron and therefore I use SAE30 B&S oil. Now been replenished with fresh oil and a new air filter. I also did the Allen Turf Doctor, powered by the reputable Honda, at the same time. Both machines ready for work in the next few weeks and thus earn their keeps. Always satisfying to give these old workhorses a new lease of life even though they are still in their work clothes as it were. When finished they are washed down and liberally sprayed with WD40 and kept under cover in my garage. 

Sorry forgot to take a picture of them.

I'm a bit unsure of your Engine type Andrew?.  You say it's Cast Iron, but it look's like an Aluminium type/Model with a Cast Iron Cylinder Sleeve insert to me.

When you find the numbers, as Alain has suggested above, can you post them here please.......if only to satisfy my curiosity. Thanks  

1 hour ago, Anglo Traction said:

I'm a bit unsure of your Engine type Andrew?.  You say it's Cast Iron, but it look's like an Aluminium type/Model with a Cast Iron Cylinder Sleeve insert to me.

When you find the numbers, as Alain has suggested above, can you post them here please.......if only to satisfy my curiosity. Thanks  

I was thinking along the same lines Richard. I believe the last of the cast iron engines were not of that type and code, but rather 130200-130299, but the gas tank is the same as the older engines, so at any rate other than the choke and throttle controls this looks to be a mid 80's engine, hard to say about the casting from the pictures

Late 92 Alloy Engine with C/I cylinder sleeve. The 5 in the model number denotes the Reduction Unit fitted which is as suspected ratio of 6.1 (if it was a 6, it would denote reverse rotation).

You'll need to do the oil check n fill separately as mentioned previously.     Bore is 2.25" and so about 131cc (8 cu in).

Here's the manuals for the Engine -

B&S822524011.pdf

B&S 082252.PDF

Note in the Parts Manual page 24, they got the description/numbering wrong for the Fill Plug

9 hours ago, Anglo Traction said:

Late 92 Alloy Engine with C/I cylinder sleeve. The 5 in the model number denotes the Reduction Unit fitted which is as suspected ratio of 6.1 (if it was a 6, it would denote reverse rotation).

You'll need to do the oil check n fill separately as mentioned previously.     Bore is 2.25" and so about 131cc (8 cu in).

Here's the manuals for the Engine -

B&S822524011.pdf

B&S 082252.PDF

Note in the Parts Manual page 24, they got the description/numbering wrong for the Fill Plug

Good call on the dates and codes Richard

I had a few hours to spare this afternoon so I drained the gear oil out of the Sisis. It wasn't too bad in colour or texture unlike the engine oil which I drained a few days previously. I refilled with fresh SAE30 oil to the required level. I used some of the old gear oil to give the metal work a quick wipe. I also gave the chain a quick spray of chain oil at the same time. Overall I am very pleased with it and it now runs like a sewing machine.

IMG_1874.JPG

IMG_1875.JPG

IMG_1876.JPG