Sign in to follow this  
Triumph66

Rejuvenating an old rusty Spade

A few days ago I went to the local tip to depose of some rubbish when I came across this old Spade and an old grease gun. You never know what you will find in the recycling 'shop'. One man's junk is another man's treasure as the saying goes. Anyway, I paid a quid for both these items. The Spade was made by Skelton a Yorkshire firm and I am guessing it is 1950s or 1960s from the style. I treated it to some woodworm treatment  to kill any lingering pests in the wood. I then wire brushed the rust and the crap off the blade, followed by a medium sandpaper finishing with a fine grade  sandpaper I wiped it cleaned with white spirit to remove the dirt and dust a few times. I then concentrated on the wooden shaft which I think is ash agiain using a medium to fine sandpaper. I cleaned it off using white spirit. I used boiled linseed oil on the wood several times which bought the grains out and on the metal I used an old oily rag to preserve the metal. I am pleased with the results of my labour and this will be a working tool; not bad for 80p! The grease gun is a telcalmite hand grease gun bought for 20p which I quickly cleaned up and filled with Casttol LM grease. I tested it out on my Bolens 1050 and it works just fine.

IMG_1877.JPG

IMG_1878.JPG

IMG_1879.JPG

IMG_1880.JPG

IMG_1881.JPG

IMG_1883.JPG

IMG_1884.JPG

IMG_1885.JPG

IMG_1886.JPG

That grease gun looks like the one Chris found in the barn on my last trip down south, on a visit to Johns place. That cleaned up ok and with a nipple connection of another gun I have, now resides in the C-81s toolbox for greasing in the finger bar. 

I saw it in a rusty tool box on the floor and had a quick rummage & discovered completely covered in old grease and dirt so I wiped it clean with white spirit and WD40 the internals. Applied some grease this afternoon and after a few strokes, the grease came out happily. Well chuffed with it.

Great find, I have exactly the same grease gun, mine has 32 grade hydraulic oil in it, it is perfect for oiling my Myford Super 7 lathe. Much better than the original Myford one:)

2 hours ago, Stormin said:

Alan told me there was quite a few of them at Johns, but he and Chris skipped them. :rolleyes: 

SORRY. :(:hide:  We did save you one though. :thumbs: