HeadExam

Adventure in Chainsaw Buying

I didn't even realize they made a Super XL-12, and I already have a Super XL Auto, but hey I never turn down a vintage saw for cheap. I found these on craigslist and they were on the way from our house in Oklahoma to my Mom's house in Wichita, Kansas. The ad said Maple City Kansas, but the house was miles from any town (Maple City has no stores, no churches, no Post Office, just a cemetery). The people selling the saws worked on a large ranch in Cowley County Kansas, its over 10,000 acres and isn't even one of the big ranches. As a hired hand on a big ranch you get a small stipend and found (trailer on the ranch), upon pulling up to the dilapidated trailer people slowing began pouring out of the front door and dogs of all shapes and sizes came out of shaded areas; with them came eight small hound puppies, three chickens, and four cats. While talking to the guy about the saws, a couple with a baby appeared from a field from God knows where holding a small child. At this point I count nine souls of various ages, shapes and sizes. The owner (father?) and oldest male have shoes, the rest are barefoot. He pulls these two saws from a outdoor cabinet that housed another six to eight Super 2's, XL-2's, and Poulan chainsaws, just junk. He claims he cuts and sells firewood out there, but the land contains approximately 1.9 trees per hectare (maybe a tad more) and none of these trees I would waste time cutting. The two saws had been on craigslist for several months and the owner seem glad and surprised to see me ( just remembering I had my derringer in my boot made me feel good), and we settled on 30 dollars for the two saws. My wife and I loaded the saws in the side door of our custom conversion van with an audience attempting to peer into the strange looking vehicle. We considered stopping by the next town and buying some lice/tick/flea spray, but by the time we got to a sizable town an hour had passed and we had not experienced any itching or crawling feelings. I believe we are safe and happy to be heading home.

Dexter Ks.PNG

Maple City.JPG

20170924_180641.jpg

20170924_180735.jpg

20170924_180701.jpg

20170924_180715.jpg