4x4forks

Gutbrod with brinly plough

1 hour ago, 4x4forks said:

Well I finally got the chance for a small go with the new plough I picked up earlier this year. 

Need to have more room to set it up with the rear linkage . I think the furrow width is a bit too wide,

video-1507319648.mp4

22323772_10155800236234661_353825117_o.jpg

22330959_10155802926109661_1870767784_n.jpg

The fifeplooman should be able to give you some advice with the setting up of your plough.

You need to be able to move the plow off center to the right to lessen the furrow width. The position a plough needs to be will be different on tractors with different wheel base widths

Plough is a 8" and I was about 8 1/2" furrow width . I have remade the tow point so I can now also have 7 1/2" and 6 1/2".Will give it a try soon. 

3 hours ago, 4x4forks said:

Plough is a 8" and I was about 8 1/2" furrow width . I have remade the tow point so I can now also have 7 1/2" and 6 1/2".Will give it a try soon. 

I hope that is enough, you might need less than 6" and don't forget to set the suck (tilt or toe in) and list, on flat ground the plough should lean slightly, you can recreate the lean by make the plough level when the left two tires on are 4" blocks. This simulates two right wheels in a furrow and correct the lean of the tractor to the plough. Brinly has a manual detailing this, but path Norman gave will probably be the easiest to understand.

What do you think about the disc culture. It has had a second position drilled further forward as pictured. I think original is the rear mounting position?

1 hour ago, 4x4forks said:

What do you think about the disc culture. It has had a second position drilled further forward as pictured. I think original is the rear mounting position?

should be as close to the plow as possible, to far forward as it sits now

Yep move it back. I may be wrong, but this appears to be a stock Wheel Horse plough from the early to mid 1960s that someone "stretched". If the plow isn't set right grass will clog the disk and moldboard gumming up the process, it might have been lengthened to solve that problem but creating another.

52 minutes ago, 4x4forks said:

Lable looks like new ..lol   I was looking for one of these for ages. I think mine is a very early plough

Yours is a Wheel Horse original for the slotted Wheel Horse hitch, hard o say whether it was made by Brinly, Ohio Steel, or Wheel Hose themselves. The other plow is a sleeve hitch plow and most other garden tractors used this type of implement, because like a 3 point lift patented by ford, the attachments would fit all tractors. The other excepts are Gravely and Sears/David Bradley. Gravely implements were most often brand specific and would not fit other machines. Most of the Sears/DB stuff was a modified narrower Cat 0 three point lift, but instead of being 19-20 inches between lift bars the Sears/DB hitches were 12". They also featured a different style top or center link. Often people will attempt to use Sears/DB stuff on Cat 0 lifts and it doesn't work unless you modify it with proper re fabrication.

That looks like a standard Gutbrod rear linkage. As mine is home made do you think it would benefit from me  shortening the plough beam as it is very long?