Sign in to follow this  
howardman

Howard Gem Jap Magneto

I picked up a freebie howard gem ( jap ) at the weekend from someone I met at a vintage show during the summer. Its missing the magneto .  I was wondering if i could modify  a wico A type mag to to fit this chain driven magneto (get the missing sprocket and mount it on a  wico mag)...or is it like my 180 degree twin gem ..... a unique mag to fit the howard jap engine gem?.  Jap engined gems are very scare over here in ireland and i have never see one in the flesh until i picked up this one on sunday. 

Thanks Gareth.. It was the sprocket end ..or a magneto off the engine i need to see, but appreciate these chain driven mags don't exactly slide out!! . Anyway  will post a few pics at the weekend ...it will no doubt keep me entertained /challenged in the dark winter nights!!  The engine is seized solid after 30 yrs  under a tree..

Thanks for the replies /suggestions. Great photos Gareth as usual. I will have have to get a sprocket from the only source i can unfortunately think of ...in the south east...

I have a good wico A but after a one hour battle some years ago putting a new impulse spring into it ...i cant bring my self to remove it again ..so will track down a new one. I will remove the head tomorrow to have look at the piston /bore/valves ..but i think it will be some time before it looks like yours Gareth!!

Just work methodically, with G206 I started with the gearbox as I knew it was almost terminal,

(over £300 spent just on the berrings) then slowly did the rest of it. Took about 6 months of before

and after work about 3 days a week. I never did find out why the engine was seized. Took it totally

apart and couldn't see any issues, then after reassembly it started fine, - must of been some dirt or

something in one of the berrings?