Sign in to follow this  
Stormin

Plough Mod.

The implement lift on my C-121, aka The Black Horse, is electrically operated. This works well but has a down side. The plough is either up or down and no way to adjust plough depth. When in the ground, the plough pulls the actuator fully out and results in the furrow being 7" deep. So a way to set plough depth had to be devised.

The tool bar has two positions in the slot hitch. One gives a plough depth of just over 5" and t'other just over 7". Somewhere in between being required. The only thing I could think of was a depth wheel. Simple, cheap and not heavy. A search around the workshop provided some box section. One size sliding nicely in the other. A wheel off a push rotary mower, some flat bar, a couple of pins with R clips and a long 1/4" cap head allan bolt.

A bit of thinking and measuring, cutting and drilling and I had some bits.

5a5109eea5c11_DSCF0008(4).JPG.4472e622600f64dccd6728032892f25e.JPG

I took more photo's but the quality is poor. Out of focus. I'll take some fresh ones tomorrow.

View from rear.

5a520ce768ca3_DSCF0012(1).JPG.af8922ce592592e6e9d4f9123398f15f.JPG

Side view set for 6" deep.

DSCF0013.JPG.bf161737376df7a4c5a6fa444761651f.JPG

Set for 4" deep.

DSCF0010.JPG.f34309f75dde99a686cec8b6bcb4c10e.JPG

The wheel can be adjusted from 6" to 4" in 1/2" increasments or reductions. Most likely 6" or 5-1/2" will be the settings to use. Trial and error will tell.

The  complete plough.

DSCF0015.JPG.b26883466bc42a6e13f3ab176fe802fe.JPG

While at the Scottish Tractorfest at Edinburgh, I was given some tips as to the depth wheel. I've fitted it too close to the plough. Needs to be about 8" further out. So back to the drawing board.

Jonathan (expeatfarmer) kindly gave me a depth wheel, surplus to requirements, off a Ransomes plough.  Today I've been weighing things up. My main concern was to it's weight. Putting the weights I hang on the plough on some scales, then the depth wheel, I found they weighed the same.

I think I've worked out a way to mount it and I'll start on that later in the week. I'll also include photo's as I go along to keep certain people happy. :D