HeadExam

Input on News Needed

Here in the States (and maybe the rest of the world as well, that's why I'm asking), we have no real news sources any longer. It doesn't matter whether you go the four major news networks or to so-called liberal or conservative news infotainment channels such as MSNBC, Fox, CNN, or Yahoo. All news is now spun for ratings and to play to certain bases and segments of the population. There is absolutely no consistency or accuracy in so much of what we read that I don't think anyone over here including our leaders know what any particular situation is truly about. It would appear that out federal and local governments have turned into a talk show tabloid environment and has relinquished all control of their senses. The days of different opinions working toward viable solutions has been put asunder to name calling and character assassinations. The worst part of it all is that it seems his has had a particularly adverse reaction on our young people and the maturity level of the entire population is not much more than lower elementary school at best. Any reaction to the story I'm posting below, because it seems it is a non story written to agitate the people into believing the Russians are doing something they haven't been doing for some time, but I have no way of knowing here in the States, so I thought I would ask you chaps for your input.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/uk-air-force-scrambles-2-fighters-russian-jets-124124066.html

Alain, it was mentioned briefly on the news covered by both the BBC and ITN. As far as I am aware, there is no real tensions between our two countries. This happens on a fairly regular basis due to the proximity of Russia and the European mainland. As for the Royal Navy accompanying or in reality shadowing Russian naval ships, it is because The English Channel is a very narrow strip of sea and is heavily used by all nations as it is a short cut to the Mediterranean and vice versa. My gripe is that the French Navy appears to sit back and let the UK do all the shadowing (I have not seen any reports of French activity). 

The British media is concentrating on three main issues at the moment: Brexit, the NHS and the Trump's administration with the odd forays into North Korea and the Middle East.

The business with the Russian planes and ships has been going on for some time. Not only in the channel, but the North Sea as well. Russian subs frequently, so I am lead to believe, are active close to our territorial waters. Putting the English Channel aside, the North Sea activity and air space is seen by our powers that be, as testing how quickly we will react.

As for the French, as far as I am concerned the least said the better. The ordinary people I've no problem with. It's the politicians.

2 hours ago, Stormin said:

The business with the Russian planes and ships has been going on for some time. Not only in the channel, but the North Sea as well. Russian subs frequently, so I am lead to believe, are active close to our territorial waters. Putting the English Channel aside, the North Sea activity and air space is seen by our powers that be, as testing how quickly we will react.

As for the French, as far as I am concerned the least said the better. The ordinary people I've no problem with. It's the politicians.

Thanks Andrew and Norman for your responses. News stories like this and others are blown out of proportion on our news outlets with each news organization providing a higher or different level of spin on the situation with no historical or factual content. Its my main complaint, not news, but entertainment is what we are fed for news. I understand many, many people do not like Trump, but the way many are acting is not mature and puts them in the same poor light.

Hi Alain, I commiserate with your situation on the standard of News you are offered there. UK is/maybe slightly better off with services that are quite disciplined with the balance, content and variety in general. I watch a lot of the BBC News 24 and Current Affairs progs which link to subjects in Asia (via Singapore Newsroom) and the US at certain day/night times.

It may be worth trying to pick the Channel up over there if poss, as there are many interviews done with US Political figures on the same/similar news subjects and issues.

It may allow you a different view of info/coverage on subjects within your own Country?.

I'm not saying Brit TV News is the best or perfect, but has the ability to be right up there with self criticism of non balanced views, accepts publicised criticism and goes to considerable lengths to be unbiased (usually).

You/we will never get a service that does not over inflate, exaggerate, dramatise, moralise, control what we see/hear or go back to older stories to establish outcomes

(except for some wars/confticts). However, if there is choice, we may feel better about it and be better able to judge what is real, fake or worth knowing about.

Regards

18 hours ago, HeadExam said:

Thanks Andrew and Norman for your responses. News stories like this and others are blown out of proportion on our news outlets with each news organization providing a higher or different level of spin on the situation with no historical or factual content. Its my main complaint, not news, but entertainment is what we are fed for news. I understand many, many people do not like Trump, but the way many are acting is not mature and puts them in the same poor light.

Alain, I agree with you about Trump and what I think is mass hysteria by galvanised by certain people. At the end of the day, Trump was democratically elected by the American people and that need to be respected whatever our views are on him and his policies. In my opinion, I do not think Trump will entertain  the thought of doing a second term as President and I think the Republican Party will be looking to nominate another leader instead of Trump. The Democrats should be concentrating on finding a suitable leader to challenge Trump politically and to understand why so called safe seats were lost to Trump in the Presential Elections. Clearly some of the issues raised by Trump in his campaign have strucked a chord with some Americans and that should be respected whether it is right or not.

4 hours ago, Triumph66 said:

Alain, I agree with you about Trump and what I think is mass hysteria by galvanised by certain people. At the end of the day, Trump was democratically elected by the American people and that need to be respected whatever our views are on him and his policies. In my opinion, I do not think Trump will entertain  the thought of doing a second term as President and I think the Republican Party will be looking to nominate another leader instead of Trump. The Democrats should be concentrating on finding a suitable leader to challenge Trump politically and to understand why so called safe seats were lost to Trump in the Presential Elections. Clearly some of the issues raised by Trump in his campaign have strucked a chord with some Americans and that should be respected whether it is right or not.

There is no one in the Republican party that can garner the amount of support as Trump does, not because Trump is good, but because all politicians are viewed as corrupt and inept. The democrats are in even worse shape. They have promised so much to so many and delivered nothing that their base is completely fragmented. They could attempt to nominate Oprah Winfrey, but as splintered as they are even that would not be even as good as Hillary did.

3 hours ago, nigel said:

Alain ,ime a administrator on face book group trumps deplorables United, I post a lot of stuff on there that is reported in the uk and europe

Thanks Nigel, I may visit the page, if I comment I used the nom de plume of Willam Gates (no i) on Facebook

A few weeks ago I mentioned that there was no real issues with Russia.... However, I was talking to a friend of mine back in Early February who son is in the Army and he said there appears to be a lot of Russian activities that is requiring monitoring. What those activities are, my friend didn't know. On top of that, we recently have had an attempted murder of a former Russian spy in Salisbury, a sleepy Wiltshire city and another suspicious death of another Russian businessman last week in London. 

What's happening, I just don't know but I think there is an attempt to divide Europe by targeting 'Billy No Mates UK' due to the forthcoming Brexit negotiations  and thus weakening the EU. it is a relief that the some of the UN, namely, the USA, Germany and France are standing firm with the UK alongside Poland.  We know that the Russian's economy is not good so this diplomatic incident may be a deflection by Putin to flex his muscles on the international stage.

Putin's maybe seeing how far he can push things. He's said he would like the Soviet Union back. Russian subs have been active for some time round our coast lines. All we can hope for is things don't escalate to far.

All the trouble in the middle east doesn't help. Neither do the likes of Trump and co. Or throwing accusations around with out proof.

On 3/19/2018 at 5:27 AM, Stormin said:

Putin's maybe seeing how far he can push things. He's said he would like the Soviet Union back. Russian subs have been active for some time round our coast lines. All we can hope for is things don't escalate to far.

All the trouble in the middle east doesn't help. Neither do the likes of Trump and co. Or throwing accusations around with out proof.

I'm assuming you mean accusing Russia of targeting former spies without proof? I would agree, because there are many foreign actors out there that would benefit from escalated Russian/ British tensions or worse. I saw an article in the American media that discounts Putin's election victory, but given the fact that American media has turned him to a Super Villain I really don't doubt that he could have received 75 percent of the vote. Another case were our media is worse than many third world countries. The media is supposed to be blind to politics and shine light on all things, but it hasn't been that way in America in decades. Now the stock market falls over 300 points following revelations that Facebook helped Obama get elected and Google had a satellite office in the Obama White House in order to gather information on Americans all with the aid of our CIA. Apparently this was known to our Congress sometime ago as they fired John Brennan, the former CIA director, for being an accomplice to violating the privacy of millions of Americans. It really is a swamp, not a democrat or a republican swamp, but a political swamp that just stinks with corruption on all sides and in which both sides may have been in collusion to corrupt the entire political system