S1g

What lathe have you got?

I'm fairly sure it dates from the 1960's so not even run in yet. Apparently when the beds were cast they were then left outside for 3years to let all the stresses come out before being machined.

what a beauty , i would mind being let loose on that for an hour or two .

This is what this forum is all about , great machines like this one

I have a Southbend Model S.. Not a big lathe by any means but it has proved so handy over the years.

SouthbendLathe.jpg

In action making bearing blocks.

TSS359.jpg

The finished products.

TSS356.jpg

Yes, it has the name S Tyzak and Sons Ltd along the front edge of the bed. Thanks for the link, Richard.

Mine looks to be like an early 1950's model.

Edited by Stormin

very nice lathe setup. I 'd like to get to the point of where I could have a mill and a lathe, but with all the other stuff I have in the shop, plus the fact that I have to give up 1/3 of my space to the wifes car, there just isn't any  room inside my 30x40' building for extras. I have a friend whos in the business of CNC equipment, so I have them make the things I don't have room for. Not really sure I could merit having any more big machinery as I wouldn't use it as much as I do, the forge, anvils, drill press's and blasting equipment already in there.  I am however long over due for a general clean out the shop job. I'm sure there are things that could go, that I've been saving for a project, or maybe just shouldn't have been saved in the first place. But its painful to discard old items sometimes, so I store way more items than I should.

As a case in point, I have a complete Franklin Helicopter engine here. Now I don't own a helicopter, probably wont get one any time soon, but its too good to get rid of, and besides, how many can say they have one? Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread.

You have just got to find a use for that Chopper Engine Jeff !.

Apart from the Myford  (don't want to dupe my other Post/Thread here, I have a Tiny Plain Lathe with full accessories.

Use it for Bushings and Model Steam fittings etc . Did use it initially to machine the front Wheel Rim Castings for my Engine.

Rather untidy post , but here's a few old scanned photographs of the Micro Lathe and some other Myford machining shots :-

........sorry about the quality.

post-94-0-79125000-1391794540_thumb.jpg post-94-0-18343700-1391794583_thumb.jpg

I added a Used Light Milling Machine to my little workshop last Autumn (right of pic) , well worth it :-

post-94-0-97889100-1391794675_thumb.jpg post-94-0-71630000-1391794908.jpg

Reasonable size Table and will cope with my needs and Tools interchangeable with the Myford

post-94-0-39702800-1391795022_thumb.jpg

Several machines here, not all in working order (or even assembled in some cases, but they came at thee right price....). Lathes-wise, the one that gets used most often is a 3.5" Grayson from the 30's, there is a slow rebuild project of a SouthBend heavy 10, as well as a round bed Drummond, and a small un-named capstan tucked away on a shelf.

I also have a Denbigh H4 horizontal mill, which is about 80 years old, but very handy!

There is an assortment other machinery that get used on odd occasions (couple of pillar drills, power hacksaw, pantograph engraving machine).

Several machines here, not all in working order (or even assembled in some cases, but they came at thee right price....). Lathes-wise, the one that gets used most often is a 3.5" Grayson from the 30's, there is a slow rebuild project of a SouthBend heavy 10, as well as a round bed Drummond, and a small un-named capstan tucked away on a shelf.

I also have a Denbigh H4 horizontal mill, which is about 80 years old, but very handy!

There is an assortment other machinery that get used on odd occasions (couple of pillar drills, power hacksaw, pantograph engraving machine).

wwp.gif

Koen

They've been around for some time. Made by Tyzack of L.ondon (I used to work with the Grandson of the Founder).

Here's some info and story for them if your not already aware.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/zyto/  

Tyzack also used to make Bricklaying tools  as i still have a Bricklaying Trowel & pins made by them

I have a 1972 Myford super7 a vertical mill I assembled from a Chester Champion compound table with a Westbury column and head. The westbury compound table,all cast iron dovetails etc I may turn into a small surface grinder. Languishing in the garage is an Elliot 10m shaper unused for the last 10years or so but brilliant for generating flat surfaces. No pics at the moment because everything in a right mess and no time to clear up.

I have a  Viceroy TDS 1/1 from around the mid 50's, doesn't get a lot of use and is half buried in the shed at the moment.