Triumph66

Vintage Garden Trailer

Last Sunday I bought an old garden trailer for next to nothing from a chap up the road. It just fit in the back of the van with an inch to spare. I need a trailer to haul items from my yard to and fro from my van as the track there is very muddy and rutted. It is a particularly well made trailer with a hinged dropside tailgate. The tyres are in good condition too and there is a very rudimentary suspension system too. It rolls freely and the handle on the drawbar is a nice touch. The plan is to rub down the frame and repainted it in an appropriate colour. Might be a dark green metal frame or white. As for the woodwork I could use marine ply or old timber which I would sand down and use Danish Oil. I hope to use some old brass screws to secure the wood in place. The seller said there was a manufacturer plaque on the trailer at one point but sadly now disappeared for eternity. Does anyone recognise the make of the trailer? I think it will be look cool behind one  of my Bolens.

When the weather warms up I will be making a start on this project.

IMG_2036.JPG

IMG_2038.JPG

IMG_2039.JPG

IMG_2040.JPG

IMG_2041.JPG

IMG_2042.JPG

The suspension looks like Indespension units. Are the wheels the same as mini ones? I may be wrong but it looks home made to me. The units look welded on, not bolted as I would expect from a manufacturer.

24 minutes ago, the showman said:

Looks a sturdy frame Andrew, maybe someone has changed the suspension at some point in its past, lets hope they didn't get the units too hot welding and damaged the rubber inside them

I think there is enough 'bounce' on the suspension when I checked it over last week.

I think the box was a factory made piece, but I do question the axle and tongue. They may have been replaced or repaired at some point. Nonetheless, it will make a fine looking and useful trailer.