HeadExam

Homelite XL-902am

Homelite had a subsidiary in Canada that built saws for the export market, i.e. the Canadian market to conform with Canadian regulations and to avoid import taxes. It was called Terry Industries and the ID tags generally said Homelite/Terry Pointe Claire Quebec. Production numbers were much lower than US saws and often saws had different model designations than their US counterparts . I have 5 of these Homelite Terry saws. I found one of my most cherished models last month in Canada and bought it from the guy whose dad bought it new in the fall of 1969 it was a XL-902am, the "am" stood for automatic and manual oiler, it was a 82cc saw with a 24" bar painted red, white and green. This color scheme is also unusual and was only used on a few models for only a few years. Last week I found a Homelite/Terry XL- 800am another automatic and manual oiler with 82cc from the original owner as well. This saw was only built in 1967 and 1968. I quickly purchased it and made arrangements for it to be shipped to my home. This particular saw was made before the fall of 1967 because instead of a bolt together crankcase the case is cemented together. I found a XL-903, which is a fairly rare Homelite saw, but I already had one, but not in nearly as good of shape, so I bought the better one and sold that one for more than I paid for the new one. I also purchased a Homelite Super XL-925 from a fellow in Maine and was excited to see that it too was a Canadian made Homelite/Terry saw. I'll post pictures when I receive it, for now here is the XL-902am, the XL-903, and the Super XL-925 saws I bought last month, all 82cc auto oiler saws

20180118_112722.jpg

20180118_112742.jpg

20180122_121748.jpg

20180122_121839.jpg

20180119_183024.jpg

20180119_183120.jpg

4 minutes ago, Triumph66 said:

Cool collection of vintage chainsaws. :smoke:

Thanks Andrew, I've sold some non Homelites and late model smaller Homelites to increase my collection to rarer and bigger models from 1964-1979, to emulate my tractor collection.

Fantastic collection of saws you have Alain. We have been watching you YouTube videos about them and I'm impressed by your knowledge about them. I didn't realise you were such a chainsaw expert.

Iain

8 minutes ago, slf-uk said:

Fantastic collection of saws you have Alain. We have been watching you YouTube videos about them and I'm impressed by your knowledge about them. I didn't realise you were such a chainsaw expert.

Iain

I bought my first chainsaw in June of 2017, but to be more accurate I had a newer model Husqvarna that I bought used 6 month prior tha never would run, so I found a old blue Homelite for sale. Things got out of hand quickly, lol. I have over 400 chainsaw manuals right now that I read and study. I don't know that much about them, but I am trying to learn all I can.

Amazing collection of saws. Years ago I knew a South African Forester who showed me photographs of himself as a youngster using an 8Ft chain saw to cut a tunnel through a giant Sequoia so that they could drive timber trucks through it without having to cut the tree down.He was only about 5Ft tall and somehow ended up as head forester for the Earl of Annandale at Lockerbie.

16 hours ago, expeatfarmer said:

Amazing collection of saws. Years ago I knew a South African Forester who showed me photographs of himself as a youngster using an 8Ft chain saw to cut a tunnel through a giant Sequoia so that they could drive timber trucks through it without having to cut the tree down.He was only about 5Ft tall and somehow ended up as head forester for the Earl of Annandale at Lockerbie.

I would love to see that photo. I saw a picture around 1959 of a guy cutting down a Giant Sequoia  17-1/2" feet across with a Homelite 7-19 (7hp, 19lbs) that had a 60" bar