joegrgraham

Ransomes mg2 cylinder bore.

Hi all, 

I've just removed the cylinder head from my mg2 in an attempt to get to the bottom of its reluctance to start, and look what I found! Notice the two large score marks in the cylinder wall. 

I'm guessing that that will not be helping! 

What does anyone think, will it be possible to bore that out? Or is the block FUBAR? 

Thanks, 

Joe. 

DSC_0359.JPG

Hi Joe

That is terminal I am afraid. The MG2 has ( or should have ) a floating gudgeon pin fitted with a white metal cap in either end which will rub against the bore if the pin sticks or the pads wear out what you have is the result. I have had one the same that was caused by somebody dot punching the piston to fix the gudgeon pin. I have a spare barrel that might get you out of a hole.

Joe,

I agree with Jonathan that the gudgeon pin has moved and scored the bore.

You have 2 choices.

1. Replace the barrel and maybe the piston depending on size and condition.

2. Rebore oversize if you can locate a suitable piston.

I have new oversize gudgeon pins and the pads unless you have the later piston that was fitted with circlips.

Neil

Joe,

There is a brand new 60 thou oversize piston on ebay which is a really good price and may resolve the problem.

Nothing to do with me as it is in the Netherlands.

Neil

Thanks for the responses chaps, I will refrain from the choicer Anglo saxon words I know and just say 'oh bugger'. 

Hey ho, one step forward, two steps back!. 

I am a little financially embarrassed at the moment, so I will have to just quietly plod on with stripping the engine to assess the extent of the damage. 

Jonathan, could you pm me with a price for the spare barrel that you mentioned, maybe when I am less Church-mouse like we could sort something out. 

Thanks again, 

Joe.