Stormin

Not a Lot.

We were hit with about 8-12 inches of snow yesterday which resulted in traffic carnage yesterday. It took me two hours longer than normal to get to work and it was then only possible because I doubled back and used the really difficult country lanes that nobody had been on.

Overnight we had high winds and the snow drifted. Those that have visited Bolens towers will know we live on the top of the only hill in Norfolk. Driving down the hill this morning I was faced with a bigger than expected snow drift and I decided to hit the gas rather than stop. This is what a Disco looks like after it has hit a six foot wall of snow. In the picture you may be able to see the drift in the background on the left. The picture does not really show just how much snow was on the bonnet, took me ages to clear it.

It's good how they designed it so the badge always shows

5a98241e2c2a0_IMG_2725(2).JPG.9e787de36e98ace79635c6898eb03098.JPG

From past experience I knew that a drift would be in that location but I was not expecting it to be that big. I told the kids to watch the impact from the bedroom window and they said that the snow went 30 foot in the air. It frightened the life out of me when I lost vision.

I got a call from the SWMBO lunch time to tell me that our neighbour was not so successful and his Isuzu 4x4 pickup is stuck in the drift. I am still at work atm but the jouney home should be interesting as I will need to recover his truck before I can attack the drift again and get home. He sold his Land Rover last year and has been winding me up about how much better his Isuzu is. Looking forward to the banter as I attach the tow strap :)

Iain

Good job the drift was soft snow, Iain. I knew some one who tried that some years back. Trouble was the drift had been there for a couple of days. Resulted in a rearranged front end to his Vauxhall Frontera.

We seem to be getting off lightly in our part of Aberdeenshire although wind is creating some nice drifts.
Cleared way round to workshop with snow blade on back of Mitsubishi.
5a9859416bed6_March2018004.JPG.98cc7c4d5a549007f25710a4d3dc490f.JPG

5a98596aaafd8_March2018005.JPG.4f5f42623c815ff392f03252c881b6fb.JPG

While I was freezing my nuts off my 12 year old Staffie/Jack Russell cross was sitting in his armchair heating himself at the pot bellied wood burner.
It's a dog's life!
!5a985a8ff0dac_March2018002.JPG.4bbea15c41763da6895acae7b2b209fb.JPG

11 hours ago, slf-uk said:

We were hit with about 8-12 inches of snow yesterday which resulted in traffic carnage yesterday. It took me two hours longer than normal to get to work and it was then only possible because I doubled back and used the really difficult country lanes that nobody had been on.

Overnight we had high winds and the snow drifted. Those that have visited Bolens towers will know we live on the top of the only hill in Norfolk. Driving down the hill this morning I was faced with a bigger than expected snow drift and I decided to hit the gas rather than stop. This is what a Disco looks like after it has hit a six foot wall of snow. In the picture you may be able to see the drift in the background on the left. The picture does not really show just how much snow was on the bonnet, took me ages to clear it.

From past experience I knew that a drift would be in that location but I was not expecting it to be that big. I told the kids to watch the impact from the bedroom window and they said that the snow went 30 foot in the air. It frightened the life out of me when I lost vision.

I got a call from the SWMBO lunch time to tell me that our neighbour was not so successful and his Isuzu 4x4 pickup is stuck in the drift. I am still at work atm but the jouney home should be interesting as I will need to recover his truck before I can attack the drift again and get home. He sold his Land Rover last year and has been winding me up about how much better his Isuzu is. Looking forward to the banter as I attach the tow strap :)

Iain

Always check under the bonnet that the snow hasn't packed the area between the fan and radiator, happens if the snow get in through the grill or underneath, then the car overheats. Ask me how I know, 6  foot drift 60mph.

Going nowhere today. Last night after I got home, some muppet in a 2wd car saw my tracks and tried to get through. They got stuck and abandoned the car without leaving any contact details. I have been talking to the police and they have told the owner to shift it. In the case of an emergency we currently have no way of getting out unless I use my digger to push it off the road into the ditch, which is very tempting.

Overnight the drift has filled in my tracks and the snow is now frozen, so I have no intention of trying to get through it unless we have an emergency. Picture of the drift

IMG_2730s.jpg.79d3a6b3b411d4d72e75b82712cdfc25.jpg

21 hours ago, slf-uk said:

Iain

Ah yes the days of drift jumping. I had a friend about 35 yrs. ago when we really got a lot of snow off Lake Ontario. He had an old 60's Chevy wagon beater that he rammed the roads with during winter. He reinforced the front rad area and when we got some good snow ,we pile about 8 of us in there and a few cases of beer and go Drift Jumping or Busting. Those Firestone Town and Country's got a workout! :)

Edited by squonk