Roving6

Reed valve for O&R 20A in an Eel Wheel

Greetings. I have an Eel Wheel minibike with an O&R 20A engine. It had been sitting for many years and wouldn't run, spark was good but gas was dripping from the carb. I've ordered a rebuild kit for the carb (it's a Walbro HDC) but notice that the reed valve assembly and the gasket which goes between the carb and the reed valve are pretty brittle and deformed. Might try glomming it all back together with some non hardening sealant if worst comes to worst, but I'm wondering if there are any sources for reed valves and carb to reed valve gaskets so I can do it right. Thanks in advance! 

I have just about everything other than the reed valve, including seals, complete NOS carb with gaskets and points and condensers. For such a rare and cool item, your best bet may be to advertise for a complete running 20A, or wait until one shows up on eBay.

Good to know, Webhead. I already bought the carb rebuild kit, so I think I'll do the rebuild, re-use the reed valve with some sealant on the flanges and see how/if it runs. After that (or if the carb rebuild doesn't work out) I'll start stocking up on other 20A spares if you're interested in selling what you have. Like you said, I probably should keep an eye out for a complete spare 20A as well...

On 5/5/2018 at 8:15 PM, Roving6 said:

I'm wondering if there are any sources for reed valves and carb to reed valve gaskets so I can do it right. Thanks in advance! 

Don't know if your still looking, but here is one item that's almost as hard to find as rocking horse poo;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143090770658

David

Thanks! I bought it! I got the Eel Wheel going (I used sealant, ditched the Walbro carb and made a modified manifold for the non oem carb) but the reed valves and that gasket are in terrible shape and don't seal well, so this is perfect. Thanks again.