Sammoore13bolens1053

Economy tractors

16 minutes ago, Sammoore13bolens1053 said:

Hi all, wondering if anyone has a economy tractor, or seen one or any for sale, sam

Never heard of them but Google has dozens of images relating to Power King EconomyTractors, so it looks as though there are a good few around. 

I personally have never seen one of this side of the pond for sale and I don’t think they were ever sold over here but not entirely sure.

Economy tractors was a name Engineering Products Company (EPCO) used for a specific type and style of tractor. The Company began producing the Economy garden tractor in 1946, but also sold a line of tractors called Country Squire (blue and white) that may have been sold by Montgomery Ward. Produced in Waukesha Wisconsin they company goal was to build the best garden tractor in the world, but soon after changed the name of the company to Power King to belie fears or implications that the tractors were cheap or not built well. Power King/Economy was known for its all gear drive and optional double Borg-Warner transmissions. Besides Economy they were also sold under the name of Jim Dandy tractors, Country Squire tractors, and were very similar to the Red E tractors as well. Powery King became the brand name for the entire line in 1977. Power King was sold to Support Services International in 1990 and production moved from Waukesha to Beaver Dam Wisconsin. In the mid 1980s Power king redesigned the tractor to resemble more traditional styled garden tractors of the era and offered both gear drive and hydrostatic transmissions as well as single cylinder and twin cylinder models. They also produced the UGT2000 and UGT2200 (Ultimate Garden Tractor), for Snapper; this was a very large Garden Tractor with 15 inch rear wheels and 10 or 12 inch front wheels that was bigger than the Bolens HT23 or the John Deere 400. Production continued until the late 1990s when Power King was sold again. Eventually the Power King assets were sold to Yazoo-Kees and production ended. Mission Manufacturing now owns the rights to Power King and supports the tractors. i have most of the manuals for the Economy/Power King tractors and implements. The wheel weight on the tractor in the pictures look like International Harvester weights, not sure. the slot behind the shifter lever is where a second transmission is mounted. The loader appears to be a very well built homemade model at least the cylinders and spool valve are after market

12 hours ago, Sammoore13bolens1053 said:

Ok, I know you can find them in the USA etc, but was wondering in the uk

Companies Like Economy/Power King, SpeedEx, Bready, and Gard-n-Master were sold through order forms in the back of magazines, occasionally a repair shop would take on the line for sale, but would only have one on the lot to show, they would have to order any tractors sold. Many of the smaller companies used this technique early on including Bolens, Pond (pre Wheel Horse), and Bready to name a few. The only way they might have made it outside the US is by special order or shipped with household items on a move. I have seen Homelite saws in the Sandwich Islands, so it is possible.