Steve2018

Removing a stuck main engine pulley shaft

Hi,  im trying to remove the main engine pulley shaft as its broken but I cant get it off,  its been on for 25 odd years so seems stuck in place.  I have the engine out but just cant get it off :-( any tips?  I could cut it off but wanted to try and save it if possible to take to a fabricator to see if it could be welded back together. 

My other idea if i cant get it off was this that i drew while at work do you think this will work? 

IMG_20180711_103812.jpg

Or instead of that bolt going through the side,  a better idea maybe is to get a longer main shaft bolt and washer to hold it all together?

Forgot to mention the pipe i have to slot in is a nice tight fit

You could try turning the engine upside down and pouring diesel or hydraulic oil down the tube. You'll need to leave it like that for a week or two to allow the fluid to work it's way through.

Heat is another option but you could damage the shaft seal.

Would be handy to establish if the Engine output shaft/Pulley unit has a parallel shaft, or tapered, with a Keyway.

Certainly Mark's suggestion will add the advantage of some heat to create a difference between the 2 components, to improve separation.     

of the dozen or so Briggs verticals I have worked on they are all 1" straight shaft with an inch long key (not half moon)

The flywheel end on the other hand is always a 1" tapered with short very soft key that is designed to shear when things go wrong (don't ask how I know)

It is a parallel shaft with a straight key. Get two pieces of "tin" and cut a U shaped slot in both and slide them in between the sump and the pulley from opposite sides to protect the sump. In these circumstances the seal is expendable!

Find a friendly mechanic with oxy-acetylene and get the pulley and its sleeve cherry red, leave it to cool and then give it the diesel soak treatment.  It will then probably lever off with a couple of tyre levers or pry bars. Protect the sump further with some scrap steel under the heels or fulcrums of the bars.

Or use folding / fox wedges as suggested by Headexam. Perhaps someone knows why they are called Fox wedges?

Edited by Wristpin