joegrgraham

Monkey jack.

I was given this a couple of days ago, just assumed it was an old tractor jack. 

Last night I cleaned up the makers name cast into it. A quick search has shown that Trewhella bros' were an Australian firm (who also produced the Monkey Winch) and it was originally designed for jacking out tree stumps. 

I'm not sure how old it is, and, as it is seized, I'm not even sure how it works! 

Still, a nice little thing that I'm happy to have. 

DSC_0551.JPG

DSC_0550.JPG

Trewhella-Bros.jpg

I have both the money jack and monkey winch and they are fantastic bits of kit. This is the first time I have seen another one. The monkey jack came with an extension bar and spreader plate, neither of which I have.

Give me a shout if you get stuck on anything and in the mean time I will see if I can find some pictures of mine.

Iain

3 minutes ago, the showman said:

I found this in some paperwork, only a copy but interesting.

Wow. Chris, I don't suppose I could have a copy or borrow it to make a copy?

Found my pictures. It looks like my monkey jack is a 10 ton version, I didn't realise they made different version. First picture also shows a high lift jack for comparision

IMG_2536.JPG.cf0a6d1b788fc51801aa679a4ba15f39.JPG

IMG_2537.JPG.d089a1aaa4c1c3bdbe61209339d697c4.JPG

IMG_0761.JPG.8caf516389338f0cdf42e5f42dd2eea7.JPG

These tools are monsters. I know I am only a pencil pusher but I can't lift the monkey winch and can only just lift the monkey jack. I really would not want to carry the monkey jack over rough ground.

Iain

1 hour ago, the showman said:

I found this in some paperwork, only a copy but interesting.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Looks familier Chris.  From John's ?.  Remember the winch in the small shed next to the house. Similar to Iain's orange painted one. I'll have a dig through my photo's.

Thanks Iain, 

I've also only found pics on the net of the 10 ton version, not sure how mine fits into the range. 

I don't suppose you have a photo of the other side of yours? Im not totally sure if mine is missing anything so would be good to compare them. 

Joe. 

6 minutes ago, joegrgraham said:

Thanks Iain, 

I've also only found pics on the net of the 10 ton version, not sure how mine fits into the range. 

I don't suppose you have a photo of the other side of yours? Im not totally sure if mine is missing anything so would be good to compare them. 

Joe. 

No I don't but I will take some pictures over the weekend and post them on the forum.

Iain

Looks like I have deleted the photo's I had. :( No sign of them anywhere.

Found them now while looking for something else, as usual. :)

100_3630.JPG.2ceaab38df883fca1733c2d473230cec.JPG100_3632.JPG.86c14778302c5c73cee0fc656cb1461a.JPG

Edited by Alan

On ‎24‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 4:51 PM, slf-uk said:

No I don't but I will take some pictures over the weekend and post them on the forum.

Iain

Woops, I forgot I said I would take some pictures :wacko: however I didn't say which weekend :)

One side

IMG_0805.JPG.cfd1c3027d2232a6c5ce156b8b3b7ce3.JPG

Back, not too much to see

IMG_0806.JPG.996e44ce41ac27fa9487b16b15a1b4e1.JPG

Front, even less to see

IMG_0808.JPG.d798f1ec9430c03f99d894fb1eb5f693.JPG

Other side, with switch in the jack up position

IMG_0807.JPG.7d44643e00a4ce670eaa455bcc36c145.JPG

Switch in the down position

IMG_0809.JPG.1beac7cb762059a075a1a0e2efdcce50.JPG

I forgot just how heavy this jack is to move around

Iain

On 8/24/2018 at 8:00 PM, Alan said:

Looks familier Chris.  From John's ?.  Remember the winch in the small shed next to the house. Similar to Iain's orange painted one. I'll have a dig through my photo's.

Hi Alan, just found this Site trying to get information on the elusive Monkey Winch.  I have obviously joined and hope to find someone who knows how the Monkey Winch "pawls" operate, engage disengage as I have hit a wall as I can't find anyone who knows what the parts look/measure like so I can find why my Monkey Winch will not release the two pawls that ratchet/lock/unlock the drum.  Literature is also almost impossible to find.  If you are happy to sell a copy of your booket, please let me know as I need all the help I can get.  Thank you and once again my apologies for joining and coming in "guns blazing".

Hi Brian.   :WMOM:

The Monkey Winch booklet was passed on to Chris Sutton ( The Showman ) who might still have it,  but it could now be with Iain ( slf-uk ).  A PM to both might help you.   The winch was sold a few years ago.  Can't remember how the pawls operated now.

Hi Alan, Mate thanks for the quick response and will take your advice.  Take care and shame you sold "old beastie" they are good things and now hard to replace.

On 8/24/2018 at 6:14 PM, slf-uk said:

I have both the money jack and monkey winch and they are fantastic bits of kit. This is the first time I have seen another one. The monkey jack came with an extension bar and spreader plate, neither of which I have.

Give me a shout if you get stuck on anything and in the mean time I will see if I can find some pictures of mine.

Iain

Any chance you can give me a few tips on how this jack works? There’s a pin on the side that I’m not sure it needs to be out in order for the handle to move freely. It might be seized as well. I have managed to move the lever up and down but still can’t the handle to give me a click up or down. Any ideas I could try.

cheers Constantine 

Hi Constantine,  you don't mention whether you mean the monkey Winch or the Wallaby Jack, but I assume it's the 5 or 10 ton jack.  I worked out the Monkey so can help there, but no help on the jacks, sure Slf-uK or some other 'wiser than me" on this forum will know how your jack works.  

Gday Brian, yes you are correct, it’s the 10 ton jack I’m having difficulties with. Thank you for responding to my query nonetheless. I will try and send the same message to Slf-uk. I’m guessing I just click on his handle in irder to do that. Once again, thank you for your time.

cheers 

Con