maidinblighty

My first real barn find sort of not really a barn more like under a lorry body

me dad went to pick up some other stuff and i caught eye of this its a Wheelhorse C-101 we havnt had chance to look at it proper yet i do know the tires are shot and the engine is not seized, when I get time if all is well with the engine i intend to do it up, not sure yet as to what level. I did find a number on it earlier today

Will keep you posted..

Cheer Jordon

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

F18_0012.JPG

14 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Doesn't look to bad. Side discharge deck as well. :thumbs:

the old boy said its been under there 20 -30 years so its gone be rusty If i get 5 tomorrow i will get some more pics, busy day shot blasting and painting matbro telehandler wheels

Cheers

3 minutes ago, the showman said:

The number doesn't come up on my data list, i'm guessing it's mid 80's by the lift handle

I will check to see if there are any more number tomo

thanks

I also reckon it's 81-10k801. 1978 C-101. Scheduled build date was Thursday 18th May going by the Julian date.

May only have a 3amp Alternator for Battery charging, as no lights fitted as optional extra?. May be lucky if 15amp Alt fitted.

Original Muffler, if not perforated is a bonus. 8 speed trans should be 103916 8 pinion Diff and should have the larger Woodruff Keys in the Axles.

Should be salvageable with some TLC. Well done.

Edit- correct day entered.     

16 hours ago, Anglo Traction said:

I also reckon it's 81-10k801. 1978 C-101. Scheduled build date was Thursday 18th May going by the Julian date.

May only have a 3amp Alternator for Battery charging, as no lights fitted as optional extra?. May be lucky if 15amp Alt fitted.

Original Muffler, if not perforated is a bonus. 8 speed trans should be 103916 8 pinion Diff and should have the larger Woodruff Keys in the Axles.

Should be salvageable with some TLC. Well done.

Edit- correct day entered.     

Cheers for the info that will be handy when needing parts

I managed to get an hour on it today I have got the bonnet off and the deck off there is rust in the cutting deck but nothing that cannot be fixed,there is obviously surface rust on the tractor.The tractor it should clean up well eventually.By the look of it it hasn't been missed used or beaten about,there are dents,it looks complete apart from I noticed the choke knob is missing and a damaged seat. It had no compression it had a stuck exhaust valve which is now free. It has no spark yet but will probably need more time to investigation that side of things being my first Kohler engine. I found some photo's on Dads camera I have added hem to give you a better idea of what i am talking about.

Will post more as and when any progress I will have a go at getting the engine running first then take it from there.

Cheers to all

Jordon

A01_0483.JPG

A01_0484.JPG

A01_0479.JPG

A01_0510.JPG

A01_0494.JPG

A01_0511.JPG

A01_0515.JPG

A01_0496.JPG

A01_0480.JPG

A01_0524.JPG

Looking at that deck, there seems to be some holes along the top at the back. If the underneath is badly corroded then the shell is most likely scrap.

Take a look at my S.D. topic in Step by Step Restorations. I thought that was salvageable, but the first time I used it cracks appeared. It had nearly rusted through in places.

20 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Looking at that deck, there seems to be some holes along the top at the back. If the underneath is badly corroded then the shell is most likely scrap.

Take a look at my S.D. topic in Step by Step Restorations. I thought that was salvageable, but the first time I used it cracks appeared. It had nearly rusted through in places.

Wow Storming your deck looked in better shape than mine at the start, you made a nice job of it too. I may have to have a think about the deck see how it comes out after a gentle blasting I may need to make a complete new one.

I do have a question I noticed it wouldnt turn over on the key, without any investigation yet I was wondering is there a clutch safety switch ie you need to apply pressure to the clutch first, Dads got a Craftsman like that.

Cheers

Jordon

I'm thinking of making a new shell myself. I made a new top for my rear discharge some years back.

As to your question. There could be a switch on the clutch pedal My C-81 has one. Also maybe one under the seat and the p.t.o. lever.

On 9/3/2018 at 7:19 PM, Stormin said:

I'm thinking of making a new shell myself. I made a new top for my rear discharge some years back.

As to your question. There could be a switch on the clutch pedal My C-81 has one. Also maybe one under the seat and the p.t.o. lever.

We also made a few westwood decks they are quite simple I dont think this one would be to bad and it would give me a chance to try out our electric bead roller weve made.

Just got back from the workshop and it is now firing although not with the key yet, ive hopefully added a little movie fingers crossed it comes out ok, note my sister injecting the fuel in she is a beautician and has lovely nails great sis thanks.

I thinks the tractors gona run ok with a little time spent tinkering, now i have a little more enthusiasm now it almost running.

I will check out them switches when i have time  thanks Stormin.

Cheers Jordon

IMG_1337.MOV

Edited by maidinblighty

I managed to get an hour on it today the engine is now running beautifully, what a lovely sound its got a little whistle pitch dad said similar to his Ransomes MG6. Its not running on its original fuel tank yet I need to sort out a grommet thingy where the fuel tap enters the tanks. I did manage to drive it forward and reverse approximately a metre gears feel good.

Next thing to sort out is the safety switches as is still hot wired direct to the coil.

Things are looking ok for this little tractor..

Cheers

Jordon

Good news that it's a runner and no smoke. A clean fuel system is a must have with the long pipe run on these models.

One thing that does need attention before driving it around too much is the left rear wheel hub needs to be pulled back away from the Transmission case end Oil Seal.

The Hub should be flush with the Shaft end so that the Lock Screw closes down on the Woodruff Key like in this rough sketch-

Hub.png.e47dabad83a406d50d607c37f43acd3e.png   

The cause of this is often assisted by a seal leak where the trans oil works it's way into the hub joints and loosens it up.

3/8" Square head Lock Screw should tighten down onto the Key at 30 ft lbs (approx 40.7 Nm). 

3 hours ago, Anglo Traction said:

Good news that it's a runner and no smoke. A clean fuel system is a must have with the long pipe run on these models.

One thing that does need attention before driving it around too much is the left rear wheel hub needs to be pulled back away from the Transmission case end Oil Seal.

The Hub should be flush with the Shaft end so that the Lock Screw closes down on the Woodruff Key like in this rough sketch-

Hub.png.e47dabad83a406d50d607c37f43acd3e.png   

The cause of this is often assisted by a seal leak where the trans oil works it's way into the hub joints and loosens it up.

3/8" Square head Lock Screw should tighten down onto the Key at 30 ft lbs (approx 40.7 Nm). 

Thanks for that info, now its running I will probably put it in the shed till I can strip it down and give it a coat of paint I have a few projects on the back burner. There was loads of smoke for the first few moments I more or less let it tick over for about 30 mins let it warm up real slowly, I have had engines smoke like hell ( mainly  old tactors) with stuck rings in the past where they have been sat for a long time and with some slow warm ups sometimes they pop open and clear themselves with out diving into the block, It dont work every time though .

Thanks

Jordon