Sign in to follow this  
MalMac

RV Caulking/Gray water tank

What is the best Caulking to use on re-caulking a RV. I have a 36ft 5th wheel trailer that has the fiberglass sides. I have used some stuff in the past that was recommended that actually has an adhesive in it. Works good but very hard to work with. Sticks to everything and does not wipe up good at all. It does the job but hard to work with. Now I have heard that there is a difference in what caulk to use depending on whether your trailer is aluminum or fiberglass. I know this stuff I have is for fiberglass and other appts. Just looking for some ideas.

Now second question. What is  the best way to control Gray water tank oder. The last couple of trips we have noticed oder. I have always flushed it good and never had to worry about it. I was going to put bleach down and fill gray water tank and let sit but was told that the bleach can destroy some time of diaphragm check valve in the tank.

When i used to work in the marine industry we used a product called SIKAFLEX for caulking ....worked amazing on anything.

It was a little hard to work with though. As for your sewer vent maybe try a product called CYCLONE SEWER VENT, don't

have an RV myself but i know others that like it. :)  :)

Thanks Kato, that's the stuff I have been using. Very Hard to work with. Does not do to bad a job. It discolors some what. It is very hard to clean up. You don't want to have a accidental drip of it on something and not catch it. I was just wondering if there was anything else out there that works good that is more shall I say user friendly.

Eternabond for roofs.  I need to re-do the slideout tape on my 5th, and I'm getting eternabond to do the job.  While not caulk, it's great for roofs.

Is the grey odor coming from the inside or the outside?

Don't use bleach it will kill the bacteria (good and bad).  Do you have 1 grey water tank or 2?

I have got 2 grey water tanks. The oder coming in from inside the trailer. I did try some stuff from Camping World that had some Lemon smell to it but only worked for about a day or two.