Mowersman

Help needed, Barford Atom sump

Evening all,

I'd like to get my Barford Atom back into working order this year. The original (?) engine, a Mk12 Villiers, is very worn, to the point that it has been bored +.060 and is now past the limits on that as well. On Saturday, I was given an almost new Villiers C12 which is in fantastic condition, that I would like to fit, however...

The Barford uses a special sump and unfortunatly the way the engine bolts to the sump is different for the Mk12 and the C12, so I can't fit the sump off my current engine onto the C12. Does anyone know if the later Barfords used the later sump?

Cheers

Andrew

hi andrew when you say later sump are you asking if the barford used the c12 ?? as no doubt you are aware that the mk 12 villiers had several different sumps depending on the application ref the barford im not aware of a variant but i could be wrong

Sorry, I'm not explaining myself very well Kim, I realise there were several different bolt hole arangements for the sumps, but there were 2 ways in which the sump attached to the engine.

You can see on this one that the bit of the block where the sump bolts on is fairly short and the oil filler is in the sump.maxresdefault.jpg

But on this one, the oil filler is cast into the block, which sticks out much futher. What I'm after is a sump that will bolt onto the Barford chassis, that will fit this later type engine.

A03BEAAC-7E0B-4736-8725-E3DA706BDBEB-154

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I can't recall seeing a barford atom with a villiers type sump like that however if you couldn't find the right style sump for that I'm sure you could add some sort of mounting plate that suits that engine. I did the same as I put a briggs on my barford atom and had to make a mounting plate for it.

Sorry I can't be of much help.

Tom

Edited by Tom

Cheers Tom, I'll fit a mounting plate if I have to, but I'm not too keen on the idea, as I'd probably end up being silly and fitting a stupid engine (Hmm, I have a Jap 6 here doing nothing!) That said, I have gone tonight, from not knowing if the sump I need exists, to finding one, but unfortunatly the shop selling it lists it as out of stock. I have emailed, but I don't hold out much hope.

http://www.lsengineers.co.uk/villiers-mk10-mk12-sump.html

I wondered if you had given any thought to having a sleeve installed in the original engine and putting it back to the standard bore? This would solve the problem of fitting up another engine.