Ian

The Mikado.. What is it? I have no idea

This was given to me years ago my a Gent who also didn't know what it was but thought it would look good as decoration in my shack.. Top bloke :thumbs:

I have never been able to find out what it is, no clues on the internet!

The winding wheel goes round and also slides on the shaft. Something should be screwed on the end of the shaft though I've no idea what... and something clamps into the other end..

It was originally painted black but I think I may of had a can of red oxide in my hand one day :)

Anyone have any ideas what this thing is for?

P3150953_zps44584507.jpg

P3150954_zps17895af5.jpg

P3150955_zpsd996dda6.jpg

P3150956_zpsb2243d5c.jpg

P3150957_zps286ca1b6.jpg

P3150958_zps31eb83eb.jpg

It would have to be a very small bore pipe to fit in what I presume is the "object grip bit"..   I always try to use the correct terminology you see :D

I did maybe think a drill bit sharpener, and it's missing a strange shaped grinding wheel?? :dunno:

the mikado bicycle spoke threading machine

Koen

Spot on Koen, thanks for that.. Just googled the above and that indeed is what it is :thumbs:

It's only taken more than 8 years to work it out :D

Thanks Guy's, it's a shame I don't have the dies as it can't have much value without them..

Saying that, there's always a chance that someone still has the dies but has lost the "machine" bit.... You never know :D

On 21/09/2016 at 10:01 PM, Mister Mad Mower said:

Spoke threader , i have the same machine which was my fathers , though the one i have is origonal black / rust in colour .

Here's a couple of photo's of the triple head dies for cutting / rolling the threads on the spokes , just so you know what they look like  .

Note the split collet so different diameter spokes can be threaded , and the angled lead in on the dies .

Where the one in the articles lead images seems to be for a single size interchangable die ! .

IMGP7631.JPG

IMGP7630.JPG

Edited by Mister Mad Mower
extra information

Thanks for that Chris, it's interesting to see what the missing bit's look like :thumbs:

Mine used to be black and rust but I gave it a quick respray as it lives on display on a kitchen shelf.

7 minutes ago, Mister Mad Mower said:

Though i do not know if yours has been retrofitted with the die carrier or if it was a factory upgrade to make usage easier maybe ! .

I've no idea Chris, it was given to me by someone who didn't know what it was.. It was a mystery to me for many years until Koen came up with the answer.

My dad used to run 3 lengths of copper wire to the heads and twist them to make pike lure traces of all things . .

He would sit with a 1950's converted red table fan that had a wooden block clamped to the shaft with a plywood face plate with sand paper glued to it ( DIY sander ) and shape cork Araldited onto tin plate blanks , then cut celluloid for the fins and set them into the finnished cork at angles so they spun the lure in the water .The spoke threader was put to good use even when he had no spokes to alter .He used to own a bike shop nr Stanley , Durham in the late 50's early 60's and i suppose he brought it with him when the family moved south .

Never thought to ask him as it was always there .

1 minute ago, ranger said:

Aren't spoke threads rolled instead of cut?

I do say " Cut / Rolled  , depends upon iff the dies are still capable of turning after 30+ years of sitting idle .Or at least on my Mikado  .Ian's version seems made to hold  dies for cutting  , so it would seem both methods has been emplyed over the years .