Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

Ceiling Fan Lights

I wish I had taken pictures.  Last week, my 15 year old ceiling fan (which works great) had a light burn out.  It had 3 others so no big deal.  One day in the morning, my wife turned on the fan and POOF.... ZAP.... Smoke.... then all the lights went out and it wouldn't turn on at all.

The fan was installed with an RF remote which is why it wouldn't turn on, but the electrical ill's was caused by burned wiring on the lighting fixture on the fan.  The wires on the burned out bulb (turned out not to be burned out after all) were completely cooked.  I removed the light fixture, replaced the lighting socket and pigtail, examined the remaining sockets and wiring, replaced the RF remote and back in business.

I have no idea why that happened, as we've been running CFL's for years AND when we didn't never exceeded 40W bulbs.  Just for kicks, I checked our kitchen fan and the wiring was cooked on that one too, so I replaced it on that one too.

So.....  check your fans for electrical issues, 2 of 5 of mine had severe issues!

Oooo, that's not good! That could've easily become a catastrophe. Are the fans all from the same manufacturer?

I better check mine tomorrow

Yes, Hampton Bay (Home Depot).  They were also the same age.  Interesting, my daughters fan was having motor problems, I removed it (and ended up replacing) but the lights were fine.  Her fan was in the house when I bought it 20 years ago!