ChrisE

Howard Bantam - AC120 oil stick

Hi All,

This is my first post on this forum. I hope you can help me!

I recently purchased a AC120 powered Bantam. It was in a bit of a sad state with rust, but not bad considering it has been exposed to the elements for so long.

I am keen to turn over the engine, but my oil dipstick is missing, hence I can't be sure of the correct oil level.  Can anybody give me a few measurements of the stick so I can make a replacement?

Hi there's one in my storage unit, ill be there on Sunday, and take photos, measurements etc,remind if you haven't heard by Sunday evening.

Hi All. Thank you for the welcoming.

Still no luck with the oil stick. I am also not too sure about oil grade as well. I plan to replace the oil sump gasket as it is leaking. I'll make some height measurements of the oil slinger and try and fashion a crude oil stick out of some brass rod.

Before:

uvu5une6.jpg

he6usazy.jpg

Partial rust removal and cleaning:

erybure7.jpg

pejedebe.jpg

First coat of paint after sanding and degreasing:

umuzupeg.jpg

erumaped.jpg

I need to strip and paint the engine. I am still deciding if I should go for an LPG convertion; the carb is troublesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Saw this post after trawling the net for other info

post-232-0-64483600-1402434024_thumb.jpgpost-232-0-05451500-1402434057_thumb.jpg

measurements are:-

118mm from the washer shoulder to the end part (sump0 dipstick

The rod diameter is three sixteenths

the rod is cut to form a half moon in profile at dipping end to a total length of 20mm

there is a line  halfway at 10mm   ... this i take to be the median oil level..

this   bantum is new to me as well and i am not familiar with the measurement yet either

regards

Vig

Thanks Vig!

I will use you measurements this weekend. I polished the valves and corrected the clearance. The intake valve was not opening completely. It has so much more power now. 

Now I have a new problem; the key sheared in the keyway and cracked the flywheel. I am guessing it is cast iron? How can I repair this? The keyway is damaged as well.  :(

Regards,

Chris

Ok. I did the spark test, it looks like the flywheel is cast aluminium with a steel ring to hold the key. The engine runs beautifully between the flywheel loosing itself; I was able to give my veggie patch a final pass before I start on seeding and planting.

The keyway on the crank is looking a little bit buggered. I guess the likelihood of finding a spare flywheel and crank is next to none.

I may have to replace the entire engine. Maybe I can make a simple  air compressor out of the old AC120?

Does anybpdy know the bearing sizes for the wheel axle? I have a bit of play in the RHS. I don't want to damage the gearbox.

Cheers,

Chris