Stormin

B&S 11hp

Pulled the Mountfield ride on the grandsons use to ride about on, into the workshop yesterday. It's stood outside covered up all winter. Just like the last few winters. Difference this time it would not fire up. No spark. Pug tested OK. On looking at the points, water had somehow found it's way in. Under the condenser was a white waxy deposit. This I suspect was out of the condenser, though the casing is not rusty. But a deposit could be seen between case and the insulation where the wire exits. Comments?

Not to worry, I have a spare engine lying. Only thing was, when I opened it no points or condenser. I must have robbed it a few years back.

What I want to know is what is the points gap? Armature is 10 - 14 thou and plug 30 thou I think. Info greatly appreciated. It's an 11hp engine.

What I the Engine Model number Norm?. I have a B & S Manual, but it's for engines up to about 1981

Edit- Just noticed in my manual that all pre 81 engines have a point gap of 0.020" , May have remained the same on later engines?

I have just looked at some paperwork I have and the point gap is saying what you thought 0.020 and the plug 0.030. So I would say you have a good memory.

Paul

I had a trip over to my local - ish garden machinery centre yesterday, to see if they had a condenser. Unfortunately not, but they did have an electric ignition module thing. So I got that and fitted it today.

post-111-0-43633200-1398262766_thumb.jpg

You join t to the wire going to the coil.

After fitting and flywheel back in place, I decided to see if it worked. I didn't replace the spark plug, just lay it on the engine. Spin the motor and a good spark. Replaced the plug then fired up the engine. Started fine and I gave it some revs. No problem except for one.

There was a pop and something flew through the air and across the workshop. :scratchhead:   I also felt drops of liquid on my face and oil spraying everywhere. :o

Now then, I hadn't replaced the engine cover yet and what fastens to that? Yes, the oil filler tube. The pressure with the high revs had blown it out. :banghead:

Be warned!