Ian

Wheel Horse Raider 14 Zero Turn

:woohoo:  an update :D time to tinker with it then

Koen

Almost time... I will be starting on it at some point next week for sure :D

I think you can find some time on the horse if needed :P

Koen

"Time is an illusion.. Lunch time doubly so".    No points or prizes but can anyone tell me where that quote is from? :)

Almost ready to start on it Koen, I've come so close to getting the shack tidy it would be a shame not to finish it..

hurry up and get going then! :D

Patience Glass hopper :D

Looking good Ian you've gave me an idea for a future project!

Thanks James.. So what's this idea for a future project? :)

I'm thinking of a rear steer Ian what you think ?

That could be an interesting project James, not quite sure how it could be built, it needs some thinking on..

Looks as rusty as my raider! But then mine has been on fire :(

Plenty of rust on it Mark..

RZT19_zps6b94eed4.jpg

But most of it came off easy with a wire brush :)

RZT22_zpsf4508b40.jpg

And settled in a neat pile on the bench! :D

RZT21_zps283bfefd.jpg

I don't think I will be repairing this bit somehow, easy enough to fold a new one out of ally.

RZT20_zps0b23aafc.jpg

The strip down continues...

RZT24_zpsc61e064a.jpg

By the time The Showman walks in the poor Raider I bought from him had been stripped bare!   Good to catch up with you again today Chris :thumbs:

RZT25_zpsd233411b.jpg

So there you go, stripped down to the naked chassis and much to my shock and surprise everything (bar one bit) came undone and came off!!

RZT26_zpsdd248bfb.jpg

The one part that is being a pain of all things is the gear knob!!  It turns but won't unwind!

RZT27_zps65e3f614.jpg

While on the subject of things with gear knobs on, here's another trans that is refusing to give up it's grip on a slot hitch.. So far loads of heat and plenty of weight have failed to move it!!

Did you want a trans with your hitch Norm? :D

RZT29_zps579dcd81.jpg

The only question now was which bit should I clean up first... Thinking quite far ahead here the last remaining paint was stripped from the top of the hood, but only the top..

The bare metal was then given a coating of battery acid to help start the rusting process....

Yes you did read that right, I want it to rust.... As to why, your have to wait and see :D      Don't give the game away Chris :D

RZT28_zps97f94d9d.jpg

I think it's working Chris, after an hour the bare steel had certainly lost it's shine.. I left in the shack overnight as I didn't want any bunnies or any other creatures getting battery acid on themselves before it has dried out..

It can go outside today and stay there until I'm ready for it.

The plan for today was to get as much of the paint and rust stripped off of Project ZIT, but instead I spent most of the day mouse hunting, trying to keep very young (just worked out how to fly sort of young) black caps out of the shack, and chopping a phone in half!

So have a photo of the side of the hood starting to rust.. The acid did the trick :)

RZT32_zps9e645011.jpg

However plans for the finish have changed a little today including some buying of paint.. So watch this space :D

That acid sure works well Ian what make is that ? Is it Nitro morse ?

HI James, I'm using this stuff.. Not even going to try and pronounce the name :D   Garry bought it years ago for topping up bike battery's and it's been sitting on a shelf in the shack ever since!

RZT34_zps758389e4.jpg

After yesterdays mouse hunting I was greeted by the build bench looking like this when I went to the shack this morning!

RZT35_zps2f5f40ab.jpg

A little while later the bench was a lot tidier and I could actually see what I was going to work on :)

RZT36_zpsc2319796.jpg

Well, not all the parts as some are stashed under the bench.

RZT37_zps836acb53.jpg

As I was stripping the last remaining parts off the hood stand I noticed more rust that needs a bit of work.. The hood stand is now stewing in the E tank.

RZT38_zps2db96d8d.jpg

I did make a start on cleaning up the chassis, but I didn't get that much cleaned up as the shack was filling up with rust dust and it was raining so I couldn't do this part outside!

RZT39_zpsb3b1bcd1.jpg

A much dryer and warmer day is forecast for tomorrow, so fingers crossed for some rust stripping action in the sun :D

And for your viewing delight, here's part 1 of Project Zero-ish turn.

looking good Ian :thumbs: but why the hell are you using battery acid? :P

Koen

To make it rust Koen :D   Ok, here's a clue for you :)

You see the rectangle?

RZT40_zps8b115f65.jpg

At some angles the rust really comes alive and changes colour to something much more vivid :D

RZT41_zpsd7980278.jpg

The rust cleaning continues on parts that are not the hood :)   Some bits were put through the blast cabinet.

RZT42_zpse3db681b.jpg

Other parts such as the fender pan were cleaned the old fashioned way with a wire cup brush on a grinder.

RZT43_zpsd2ffcc71.jpg

Quite a few hidden cracks to be welded up!

RZT44_zps6b4381ec.jpg

And that's as far as I got yesterday as Garry turned up on something different that needed a bit of looking at... See my post in the off topic section that will be appearing shortly :)

Screeeeeeeech!!!!     No that's not the sound of a car crash outside my house, but the sound of Project zero-ish turn screeching to a halt!!!!    Yes you did read that right :D

Do to a mixture of luck and being in the right place at the right time sort of thing this project is about to take a rather large change in direction!

At the moment I can't tell you any more than that (Well I could but where would be the fun in that :D )

So, I will just leave you a couple of photo's for now :D

P6071441_zpsce322935.jpg

P6071442_zps2fae94c6.jpg