Chris

My 54in Monster

Now that got you looking!!!

Now the Bolens 1886 is running, I have got the deck on & apart from a few small probs it works well.

Its a beast of a mower & good fun to drive. One thing it does do, is when its run for approx 40 mins it cuts out :angry: . Let it cool for 15mins, off I go again. Its got a good spark now its got a new condensor & ajusted the points. I am sure its carb ajustment as if I turn it off it wont start from hot.

From cold it starts well.

Been mowing the lawn today :D Just after I took these pics, it cut out!!

I did also think of the coil, I wipped the plugs out when it stops & its still sparking well. I do have a spare coil which I can try.

Have a kohler manual for the engine which says how to set the carb up. Looked at it again today & on another page says something else. I think shes running on the hot side. Will have to have another look in the week.

Hi Chris.

My C121, when I first got it , would run for about an hour then cut out when throttle was moved from max, It would restart when cooled a little.I rebuilt the carb,including turning up some bushes to remove play in the spindle. The cause was traced to the exhaust valve clearance,after adjusting it runs fine.Hope this maybe of some use to you.

Doug

Thanks for the info Doug.

I did grind in the valves & set the clearance when I rebuilt the engine according to the manual. But worth checking again now its run in :)

I made a good carb up from 2 units with all good parts. My money is on the settings at the min, but maybe bit of both causing the problem :(

Well, still having problems with the engine but have now worked out whats wrong with help from a Kohler Expert

Even though it fires up well. Some issues with the carb were sorted & now runs for a bit longer :)

The problem is serious lack of compression :(  Done a leak down test & it leaks like a sieve. :o

So engine is coming back out for a birthday, fitment of new rings & valves etc

Keep you posted

It can only get better than it is Ian

Each cylinder should have 90-100psi when cold. Mine have 40 & 50. Raising to 60psi when hot :angry:

As the valves are not doing there thing correctly, I have hot gases going up the intake manifold thus causing carb problems :o

Have placed an order for parts so have to wait before I do open heart on the engine :D