Hi all,

This is my Wheelhorse C-100 from 1975 I have owned since 2005. It is a 10hp Kohler and is my first ever ride-on.

One day when I have my own place I'd love to restore it it perfect condition but for now she's used for gardening jobs. This is one I definitely want to keep forever though.

post-164-0-27242600-1400593692_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-25618700-1400593749_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-99028600-1400593799_thumb.jpg

Thanks all :)

She's only really been up and running for a couple of months, before that she was out of service for a few years due to engine problems, and I never had the time or knowledge or money to get her repaired. I did at one point pay a friend to have a look at the engine who was more compitant than me, but although he got it running it was very rough and not right due to needing some carb parts I couldn't afford at the time.

However, now the engine is up and running again due to a great chap called Mike's help, and it is unbelievably sweet. I'd like to have some fun using it around the garden before eventually in a couple of years getting her restored to hopefully something like the finish of some of the absolutely stunning work I see here. So I agree about the decals, but I'll most likely add them after she's been repainted.

The tow hitch is a little odd, but it was like that when I bought it (for £300 with a year's guarantee) from a garden machinery shop when I was 14 back in 2005. It actually is perfect for our little Saxon galvinised tipper trailer though.

So I have the Wheelhorse and the Westwood Gazelle which is my effort to save a little bit of American and English lawnmower history :lol: I'll see if I can dig out a photo of the Wheelhorse when I firstly got it back home, it was actually painted black back then.

Thanks! Hmm sounds interesting, I googled a C-101 and it looks similar, I'm not honestly sure what the difference would be, engine perhaps?

Also I wondered if anyone knows if the C-100 would have had a bonnet/hood orniment?

The main difference from a C-100 to a C-101 was the hoodstand arrangement. It split into a transmission type tunnel with a small bracket under the dash panel - the battery sits on this. The PTO arrangement changed as did the deck lift handle. Two side covers finished it off, one hooking over the deck handle, the other being the belt guard.

And yes they had the hood ornament...

http://www.wheel-horse.co.uk/c100.htm

http://www.wheel-horse.co.uk/c101.htm

Ah OK, thanks for the info Mark! :D

I'll have too see about getting one at some point then, so far all I can see for sale though is a hood ornament from a Raider 9, and I'm not sure if that would fit :huh:

Hi all, I managed to dig out a photo of my Wheelhorse as it was when it arived back in 2005. Luckily it's looking better these days, even though I don't consider it finished. (could do with a fresh lick of paint on the red parts). I did keep the engine silver, when I first painted it ages ago, not really sure why :lol:

I'd actually forgotten someone must have crashed it since the hood was damaged at the front, I learned a lot about body work straigntening it out. The rest of her was in pretty good shape though and most surprising is how there's effectively no rust on it at all. I also brought the light lens and light box for behind so I'll have to wire up the lights when I do the repaint at some point.

post-164-0-75669400-1401372535_thumb.jpg

Edited by WestwoodGazelle

I agree Mark, not to mention it was brush painted thickly over gloss red underneath :lol:

That's my faithful dog Poppy when she was only two (ten years old now). Glad you like the paint scheme, I thought it was a nice little throwback to it's earlier life :lol:

Hi W/Gazelle

I fitted John Deere 279 deck spindle housings minus the shafts to the front stub axles of my C121 these have 3/4" bore bearings the same as the Wheelhorse I scrounged these from a customer of ours-a council mower shop whose policy was if the bearings are shot,change the whole assembly! If a walk behind mower needed more than a spark plug to repair it -it was scrapped! I bought a box of new bearings from the USA for these and fitted a couple of nice narrow Howard/ Dowdeswell rotavator wheels along with 4.00 x 8 tri rib tyres. These housings have four threaded holes to attach them to the deck,these now take the wheel bolts.They almost lined up,just a touch with a file needed, tube spacers then fitted to give the track width I wanted.

regards Doug.

just seen some on an auction site: set of 4   3/4" id x 1-3/8" od x 1/2" bearings in the U.S.A  for about £9.50 with about the same for postage. code # IBB-34

Hi all, I wondered if anyone knows what sort of front wheel bearings that my 'Horse has and the best place to get them? :huh:

I think Richard may chime in on this one, or Andy?

Sorry, not sure how I missed this.

Yes, I obtained mine from U.S. in the end, could not get the heavy duty Heim brand. Got mine (4) in 2012 for about £3 ea incl shipping.

As Doug(Ranger) has mentioned above, now cost more, but if you still want them, I can point you to an advert for 4 at about £15 incl Shipping. 

Toro part number is 110513,but there are many U.S Aftermarket numbers too. 

Regards

Hi again,

some photos of the John Deere 279 mower deck spindles converted to front wheel hubs. The holes are not threaded as i thought, I threaded them M10. The wheels are off a Howard rotavator.post-206-0-34831200-1402164491_thumb.jpgpost-206-0-44239000-1402164534_thumb.jpgpost-206-0-33811000-1402164578_thumb.jpg

Nice job on the spindles there Doug! :) Looks like a good bit of work.

However, since I am not the most skilled mechanic in the world/England/Devon/my house, if there was an option where I could just swap like for like easily, I would appreciate the link, Richard.

No machining other than tapping threads for wheel bolts. The spindles were knocked out of the bearings, new bearings pressed in, (the same size) and the hubs fitted to the W/H front spindles just like the original wheels. The beauty of this conversion is being able to fit narrow wheels, I think the stud P.C.D ( pitch circle diameter) is either 100mm or 4") plenty of wheels like these are available. Check out the local mower shop, private or council and see what they have in the scrap bin. Councils seem to like the John Deere rideons.

regards Doug.