snowy the grey AKA Chris

My other ride on is a "Lowes 12/39"

This seems to have come from the States but other than this one I have not seen any even on the well known internet auction site. There appear to be similarities to a Murray but I have not been able to confirm. Has a Briggs Stratton 12hp engine which has developed a slight knock but still works well. Deck works ok and seems to be in one piece with no rust. Electrics are shot other than to start it, to stop it is a case of disconnecting the spark plug. (New key start required I think.) 

Googling "Lowes ride on mowers" seems to produce a B & Q type retailer.

Anyone have any other ideas?

post-218-0-99292500-1401813890.jpg

Isn't there a connection with Lowes & MTD??

But I rather think Roper or Murray...

Sorry been out of the loop for a while. Looks like a Peerless transmission. Slight technical problem since my post, it decided to break a con rod but fortunately with no damage to piston or block. Now replaced and running well albeit the drive pulleys caused major problems with removal and I have to replace the deck pulley at some stage due to over zealous pulling.

Recently had the good fortune to get hold of 2 ride-ons for £75 one Toro 16-38HXLE and an older Countax believed to be C series. The Countax came as a freebie as it was non working. Am still digging out the 1" thick rat poo covering from the barn it was stored in. Electrics seem to be the problem but will post further when this is progressing. I know these are a bit newer than the average post on this site but both have had a hard life!

Sorry been out of the loop for a while. Looks like a Peerless transmission. Slight technical problem since my post, it decided to break a con rod but fortunately with no damage to piston or block. Now replaced and running well albeit the drive pulleys caused major problems with removal and I have to replace the deck pulley at some stage due to over zealous pulling.

Recently had the good fortune to get hold of 2 ride-ons for £75 one Toro 16-38HXLE and an older Countax believed to be C series. The Countax came as a freebie as it was non working. Am still digging out the 1" thick rat poo covering from the barn it was stored in. Electrics seem to be the problem but will post further when this is progressing. I know these are a bit newer than the average post on this site but both have had a hard life!

Another possibility is American Yard Products  now part of the Electrolux/Husqvarna stable.

Good if it's broken a rod  without damaging the block but have a good look just behind the starter motor . More often than not , after a rod breakage, those single pot BS will have a small bulge or crack in that area . Seen many running quite happily after being repaired with Plastic Padding!

Edited by Wristpin