ranger

My horses: four wheeled!

Thanks.  I`ve also got the cultivator that fits the frame. I don`t have the plough but I picked up a Lemken stubble plough section that looks to be about the right size with a bit of modification. Last year I bought a six furrow orchard/vinyard plough with mouldboards just the right size for a Wheelhorse. A friend saw it and begged me not to cut it up but to sell it to him, eventually I did, He then fell out with me when he found out I made £25 profit ! I didn`t want to sell it in the first place, I could have made 6 Wheelhorse ploughs out of it.

The hubs are John Deere 279 mower deck blade mounting spindles with the spindle removed. These came from a council customer of ours, whose policy is replace the whole assembly if the bearings are worn. The bearing bore size is 3/4", the same as the Horse. I fitted new bearings and threaded the holes M10 for the wheel bolts.The wheels are Howard rotavator wheels. front tyres are 4 x 8 tri rib hay bob tyres. The rears are 7.00 x 12  I had to raise the rear fender to gain clearance for the tyres. The clevis hitch is homemade also, no cables or chains,all linkages are rods & clevises & rod ends.

Thanks Ian.

The mud on the 121 is the result of me trying to cut the buttercups in the horse paddock with a flail mower towed behind my Ranger, in the swamp at the bottom of one paddock (an underground spring)  I got stuck and had to tow the car out with the 121, with extra weight on for traction + the wife, the 121 then completed the mowing with no trouble. I probably should have harnessed one of the swamp donkeys, "Oop`s sorry," Wife`s horses, to the car and used it instead, but it gave the 121 an outing. I usually tow the flail, a converted 48" quad front  mounted unit now fitted with rear wheels,( Zero turn? ) behind a westwood D1200 which runs forever on a sniff of diesel,(except when the pikey mice chew through the fuel lines) but this is only any good if the fields are nice and dry. It`s also a lottery as to which gear your in,but it was a freebe so can`t complain. The paint? on the 312-8  1989 is falling of in sheets< I really need to do something to it before it gets too bad.It hasn`t been used since fitting the new exhaust. The front wheels are JD 289  8" which fit straight on. The 6" originals went onto the flail mower. More photos to follow when I get the chance.

regards Doug.