Ian

Project "Why Not"

Evening Chaps, sorry to of kept you waiting on this announcement of the new project or the revamped plans for project Zero-ish turn..

Thanks for the many funny guesses, you have kept me laughing :D

The reason for keeping you waiting is I was waiting for a rather major part to turn up..

A big THANK YOU to Ben for collecting this for me, ta muchly mate :thumbs:

Soooooo..What am engine am I fitting in this?

WN2_zps5897adb9.jpg

WN1_zpsfc6b3307.jpg

Here's a clue..

WN4_zps6e649807.jpg

Here's a bigger clue :D

WN5_zps5b764825.jpg

Here's an even bigger clue..

WN3_zps2aa172b7.jpg

Yes that's right, Project "Why Not" is being fitted with this beast of an engine.. 500cc water cooled V twin that knocks out 48hp with 5 speed box  :D

WN6_zpsaecb707e.jpg

Honda and Wheel Horse.. Soon to become joined in marriage :D

WN7_zps0320f84d.jpg

Oh, the person who guessed the closest was Norm... It's not the engine from Garry's trike, but it is the same engine and this bike did in fact come from Garry :D  

The original plan was to modify the shaft drive for use but now I've seen the drive in the flesh so to speak I've had to change the plan a little and will be converting it to chain drive.

It`ll look like a mini Turner "Yeoman of England" tractor with that engine fitted, :) :) If I get around to fitting the 3cyl Kubota diesel in my Raider, I have a Kubota cutting deck right angle gearbox, 1 to 1 ratio to connect to the flywheel with a pulley on the other shaft for the belt pulley, it looks an easy way to turn the drive 90deg and keep the belt

nice one ian, will be following with great interest,  may i suggest you start collecting tyres now to replace the ones that will be burning out in a flash :D:lol::D

A little dickiebird tells me the showmans going to break his old harley up (the one wiv the handbags and tassles on ) and stuff the engine in his next orse project :scratchhead::hyper:

You won't believe this Ian, but I had a Silver Wing. Poor mans Gold Wing. Great engine and very reliable. Shaft drive as well. Good choice. :thumbs:

I do believe you Norm :D  Your right it is a nice engine.. Sounds great.

It`ll look like a mini Turner "Yeoman of England" tractor with that engine fitted,  If I get around to fitting the 3cyl Kubota diesel in my Raider, I have a Kubota cutting deck right angle gearbox, 1 to 1 ratio to connect to the flywheel with a pulley on the other shaft for the belt pulley, it looks an easy way to turn the drive 90deg and keep the belt

I like your plans for your Raider, a 3 pot diesel sounds spot on..  I will be looking for a right angled gearbox for this project, my original plan was to use the Wing's final drive and turn it around, but it can't be done now I've had a look.

You won't see him at the 2015 wheel horse round up, he'll pass in a flash, blink and you'll miss him hahaha

Your hear me way before you see me :D

On his way to the Cemetary. RIP Ian :P

Do they have a good race track at the Cemetery? :D

nice one ian, will be following with great interest,  may i suggest you start collecting tyres now to replace the ones that will be burning out in a flash :D

Thanks Kev, I do have a few pairs of used rear tyres, they should last me a few mins :D

A little dickiebird tells me the showmans going to break his old harley up (the one wiv the handbags and tassles on ) and stuff the engine in his next orse project :scratchhead::hyper:

I'd like to see that :D

It's been a busy but very worth while day in the shack :D

The Honda started to look a little less complete..

WN8_zps42a6843c.jpg

But eventually it gave up it's grip on the engine.

WN9_zps5c60920a.jpg

Getting it on the bench was interesting, I had to "walk" it up a plank!

WN11_zpsaeff2ad1.jpg

A view from the back..

WN10_zps1a9ab689.jpg

Sooooo... The big question was, will the engine fit in the Raider without having to trim the hood or extend the chassis???

You bet it did :D :D :D

WN12_zps62761b9c.jpg

WN13_zpsd57e7c51.jpg

WN14_zps8cf993ca.jpg

WN15_zps6c4eb899.jpg

WN16_zps03505a0c.jpg

WN17_zps5bf5ef74.jpg

I can't stop grinning :D

Oh yeah baby that's what I'm talking about nice one Ian that looks great in there

I knew it wouldn't be long before it was in the horse if only at the moment for fab planning purposes

Hi Ian,  some pic`s of the gearbox I was given, it has slight damage to the keyway on the output shaft, I`m not sure what Kubota deck it came off but it was quite big,rough dim`s are 150 x 150 x 120mm output shaft is approx 150mm long & 25mm dia. No doubt  you can find something similar, I was told these things new are around  £1500. :blink:  :blink:  Could you not use the internals from the bike hub & fabricate a case to suit ? Having seen previous examples of your work I`m sure it would not be too dificult :thumbs:post-206-0-19582100-1403365786_thumb.jpgpost-206-0-29665600-1403365817_thumb.jpgpost-206-0-74893900-1403365864_thumb.jpgpost-206-0-53315600-1403365907_thumb.jpg

Freakin awesome!!!! :D

Thanks mate, it do look good.

By ecky thump, Ian, that looks the dogs watsits. Made for the job. :hyper:

Thanks Norm, yep the engine does look just right in there.

Oh yeah baby that's what I'm talking about nice one Ian that looks great in there

I knew it wouldn't be long before it was in the horse if only at the moment for fab planning purposes

Thought you would like it Ben :D  Once I had the engine out I knew there was no way I could stop for the day with seeing the engine in place :D

Wow, that engine fits just nice on that tractor Ian , really looking forward to watching this transform.

Thanks Neil, I'm really looking forward to the build too and of course the fun of driving it :D

That engine fits just great, the exhaust coming off to the back looks fab- keep us posted? Will there be videos as always soon? Top youtuber! Hours of great videos

Hi Charlie.. Will the be videos soon???   But of course :D

Hi Ian,  some pic`s of the gearbox I was given, it has slight damage to the keyway on the output shaft, I`m not sure what Kubota deck it came off but it was quite big,rough dim`s are 150 x 150 x 120mm output shaft is approx 150mm long & 25mm dia. No doubt  you can find something similar, I was told these things new are around  £1500.  Could you not use the internals from the bike hub & fabricate a case to suit ? Having seen previous examples of your work I`m sure it would not be too dificult :thumbs:attachicon.gifP1010665.JPGattachicon.gifP1010664.JPGattachicon.gifP1010663.JPGattachicon.gifP1010662.JPG

Thanks for that, it looks a heavy duty bit of kit..

Nigel dropped in today and once he had stopped grinning at the project he says he might well have a right angles gearbox thingy I can use. Ta muchly Nigel :thumbs:

Here you are Charlie, the first video of Project "Why Not" :D

I saw this in the flesh today and I must say the engine looks stunning in the horse can't wait for my first drive :D

I have to say mate, the expression on your face yesterday when you saw the beast was priceless...  I think it was a mixture of "gob smacked", amazed, and Hell yeah... Your grin said it all :D

I expect I looked the same when I first saw the engine under the Raiders hood :D

Best make sure the throttle doesn't stick :D orbtheres no awning displays nearby... :P

I think some strong throttle return springs will be needed :D