Ian

Project "Why Not"

And so the bodywork continues.........

The front of the bonnet/hood had the grey primer treatment, you can see where I've started to flatten it down with the aid of a light guide coat.

WN1011.jpg

When I was happy with the bonnet it got three heavy coats of red oxide which also need flattening back to a smooth finish.

WN1013.jpg

The fender pan has taken lot's of work, but when I was happy it was mostly the shape it should be I hit it with red oxide.. Nothing like a coat of paint to show where the flaws are... And there were loads!  :lol:

WN1012.jpg

Lot's more sanding and adding a bit of filler here and there we have reached this stage.. Only a few minor pin holes to sort out but I'm happy with how it looks now..

WN1014.jpg

WN1015.jpg

All the smaller panels are done apart from the final red oxide coats and some wet n dry flattening, and a thank you to Nigel for finishing the welding on the foot plates Friday :thumbs:

With a bit of luck everything will be getting top coats next week, it will be nice to see some shiny paint on them finally :)

A quick lesson in WHY NOT to rush a paint job!!

The ally dash surround and fuel tank holder thingy were both painted in a rush of enthusiasm so I could see what they looked like with the top coats on!!
Too much paint/not enough drying time/not sanding the primer coats looked just fine once the paint was on...
However Monday I uncovered Why Not only to find the paint had sunk and cracked in places!!
So yesterday I pulled the parts off to strip them of paint and start again!!!

So remember kids, don't rush a paint job!!

WN1016.jpg

WN1017.jpg

WN1018.jpg

Morning chaps, finally yesterday the panel painting time had come :D

WN1019.jpg

WN1020.jpg

WN1021.jpg

Yes I know it's hard to believe but Nigel was actually moving so fast he had started to blur :lol:

WN1022.jpg

Speaking of blurred, sorry for this naff photo..

WN1023.jpg

Almost finished with the paint, I just need to give the bonnet and smaller parts a second coat of clear......     Almost ready for those decals Mark :D

On 16/05/2016 at 9:03 AM, the showman said:

Looks good now, worth the extra work to get that finish. :thumbs:

Thanks Chris, it sure has been a lot of work but worth it..

On 16/05/2016 at 7:15 PM, pmackellow said:

In that action shot of Nigel he looks like he's saying "you've missed a bit !!" :lol:

Nigel painted those parts Paul :lol:

On 16/05/2016 at 7:31 PM, diggerjames said:

Looking absolutely Fantastic mate well done nearly time for new project !!!

Thanks James, I've been thinking about the next project for a while now :D

Just when I thought I had finished with the red paint I found a rather large deep scratch in the freshly painted fender pan on Monday!!

WN1024.jpg

But somehow with some careful wet n dry work and some more paint the scratch vanished..

WN1025.jpg

The wheels had got chipped with all the test driving so the paint was flattened back.... Here's the rears..

WN1026.jpg

One front and two rears after a fresh coat of International Harvester White....    In a week or so they will be pin striped :D

WN1027.jpg

WN1028.jpg

On 19/05/2016 at 9:13 AM, Stormin said:

You'll not be wanting to get it dirty now. :P

I'm sure some dirt will make a guest appearance at some point Norm :D

A bit of an update for you chaps..

The braking system has been cleaned up and painted.. Here's the two master cylinders...

WN1029.jpg

The brake calipers and mountings got the same treatment.

I still need to bleed the air out the system, always a fun job with lot's of fresh paint nearby!

WN1030.jpg

WN1031.jpg

The headlamp blanking plate was rubbed down, repainted, mud somehow stuck in the fresh paint, left to dry, rubbed down yet again and repainted again!

For some reason this small panel has been the most troublesome paint wise and as you can see it's still not looking great!

WN1032.jpg

The white on the steering wheel center had faded quite a bit, so I gave it a careful repaint in IH white...  I don't want the gloss look so the white will be very carefully flattened back to take the shine away.

WN1033.jpg

Today was bled the brakes day.. The rears which were empty of brake fluid bled really easy, which was nice....

The fronts for some reason just didn't want to let fluid through! Lot's of faffing about including checking the calipers were actually working (they were) produced almost no brake pressure!

So... I moved the master cylinder up in line with the rear cylinder to give it more pedal leverage.....   Now the front brakes work really well :thumbs:

WN1034.jpg

Oh... And this happened today :D

WN1035.jpg

WN1036.jpg

WN1037.jpg

WN1038.jpg

On 24/05/2016 at 8:01 PM, the showman said:

Really looking nice now Ian

Thanks Chris.

On 24/05/2016 at 8:09 PM, Stormin said:

Looking great, Ian. :thumbs:

Thanks Norm.

On 24/05/2016 at 8:17 PM, pmackellow said:

:thumbs: :thumbs:

Ta muchly paul.

On 25/05/2016 at 7:27 AM, Cub Cadet said:

It looks awesome!

Thanks Ewan.

On 25/05/2016 at 7:31 AM, Stormin said:

You should try driving it, Ewan. :D

You did have a rather large grin on your face Norm :D

Today has been exhausting.... Yep, it's sort the pipes day :D

WN1039.jpg

Once all the extras for the non working flame/smoke making system had been removed the pipes looked a lot cleaner.

WN1040.jpg

Only these two holes to sort out..

WN1041.jpg

That's better, just the welds to clean up..

WN1042.jpg

Out came a spare muffler so I could measure out and make something I've been planning to for a long time..

WN1043.jpg

Before the photo's a big thank you to Nigel for helping out with the exhaust wrap, a nasty itchy job that left us with itchy black stained hands!  So thanks again mate :thumbs:

WN1046.jpg

WN1045.jpg

WN1044.jpg

On 27/05/2016 at 7:39 PM, woz said:

iv never seen such a great paint job done with rattle cans......absolute credit to you..;)

Thanks Woz, the paint will look even better once the clear coat has been flattened back and polished up.

On 27/05/2016 at 8:01 PM, nigel said:

I helped him woz :rolleyes:

You did indeed mate, thanks.. Thanks also for the wheel pinstriping :thumbs:

WN1047.jpg

WN1048.jpg

WN1049.jpg

Morning chaps, well yesterday was a very good day with a parcel containing custom decals arrived from Mark.. Perfect timing as it happened as all we had left to do was get WN off the bench and put some fluids in her..

So, a big :tthankyou: Mark for the great decals, the cream rather than white works really well :thumbs:

I guess now's a good point to do the "before and after" thing :D

As arrived from Chris's collection.. The green engine wasn't part of the deal, I just needed somewhere to put it :D

RZT2.JPG

The same machine after a bit of work :lol:

WN1054.jpg

WN1055.jpg

WN1056.jpg

WN1057.jpg

All I need now is a better seat, get the engine running (fuel starvation for some strange reason!) and a nice sunny day to get some good photo's/video footage :D