rotoscytheben

a very old and rare mountfield m4 grasscutter!!!

i was at work today minding my own buisness when an old boy came in to the shop and said would we be able to dispose of this for him!post-220-0-18078900-1404753675_thumb.jpgpost-220-0-96714000-1404753773_thumb.jpgpost-220-0-87598100-1404753869_thumb.jpg ive never seen one in green with chrome handles and with its clamshell grassbox very pleased i am :D

nice one ben, :)  i wish some old boy would walk into my workshop with a new project all i get is people with knackerd ryobi strimmers to get rid of :angry:

nice one ben, :)  i wish some old boy would walk into my workshop with a new project all i get is people with knackerd ryobi strimmers to get rid of :angry:

bloody ryobi strimmers they shouldnt be allowed in this country there rubbish i have a fist full of them at work too i might as well bring them over your place they can make friends with your ones :D

bloody ryobi strimmers they shouldnt be allowed in this country there rubbish i have a fist full of them at work too i might as well bring them over your place they can make friends with your ones :D

They might start breeding if you put them together Ben!!  No one wants that :D

Nice mower by the way :D

i have 5 or 6 for refurb and resale with newer honda engine fitted but this one im keeping in the collection i think its quite a rare beast in this colour etc ive never seen another and ive never seen one with chrome handles or the clamshell opening grassbox 

you may well be right about it being a deluxe model seeing as it has chrome handles.

ive also  looked closely at the paint its definatley factory it hasnt been re-painted 

im glad i was able to give it a good home too many of our old machines end up getting thrown away or weighed in for scrap!

That does look a good find. Not as old but I've got a late 70's electric mountfield that still works well, my grandad had owned it from new. Instead of the normal red its orange, a very fitting colour for me.

That does look a good find. Not as old but I've got a late 70's electric mountfield that still works well, my grandad had owned it from new. Instead of the normal red its orange, a very fitting colour for me.

have you seen my post on the mountfield emblem electric mower thats pretty old too

Meant  to ask, Ben, is the engine an Aspera or a Kirby Lauson?  Both were of Tecumseh origin, the Aspera being made under licence in Italy and the Kirby in Australia. The earliest Mountfields had Kirbys due, I am told, to the more favourable rate of import duty from a Commonwealth country. No EEC in those days!   

I'm the proud owner of an M4 Mountfield of about 1978 vintage, of course it's still going strong but it is on it's third engine (now a B&S Quantum 55) It's also on it's third grassbox and needing a replacement urgently (the whole plastic moulding at the front of the box and a couple of inches of the plastic bottom have worn away and the cloth has been patched up too often). I have repaired it with a piece of caravan aluminium but that has worn through now and I'd love to give the old thing a new one. Can they be obtained at all anymore?

Hello to all of you, I am a new guy looking for a bit of info regarding the age of my Mountfield M4 Major (made in England) by G.D Mountfield Limited (Maidenhead Berks) recommended lubricant, engine - Castrolite

serial number - M4/54221

copied off the nameplate on the mower as you guys had probably already guessed, but I am looking to write a good description of the one I have been cleaning and will be listing for sale soon after as have moved to a property which has no lawn and my new space is tight so now I have serviced and cleaned my vintage mower, I will advertise once I find out how old or thereabouts this mower is. 
I cleaned out the tank and carburettor then added a new fuel filter and fuel pipes, and I managed to get diaphragms and gaskets after having the carb fully bathed in my super sonic parts cleaner for 48 hours or so. It has had the oil c drained and replaced with fresh, I have also put a new spark plug in it, I checked the piston and rings but they still looked great so it weren’t necessary. It didn’t need any of the above to show it still working and the cutting grass, but because it sometimes struggled to start and soon it would have needed doing anyway, I thought better to do it before the sale so no one can come back saying this or that once sold and I know everything is working perfectly. Sorry for the long script, but I cannot find out how old these mowers are, also it would be nice if someone replied telling me anything good regarding my mower and their history etc. if anyone is interested I will add pics to show how great it looks in its originality.

thanks

bright spark.

On 7/7/2014 at 6:59 PM, rotoscytheben said:

The plastic of any sort is very easily burned and the fumes are liquidated which make fuel and can then be used to run your own garden machinery, so always worth saving your plastic waste if you have enough space because it is such an easy process and anyone can do it.

What a treasure, wow! The Mountfield M4 lawnmower is an exquisite example of retro design. You almost feel as though the past is infused into its design, and its rarity lends an air of nostalgia. This grasscutter, which is also a fragment of gardening history, is a monument to durable craftsmanship. This a fantastic discovery for any collector or enthusiast! Explore Boom & Bucket to discover the world of unusual garden antiquities!