Stormin

C-120 refurb.

Here's a question. I've been thinking of fitting a hydraulic pump to the C-120. What PSI pump should I be looking for? I've got a steering pump of a Disco, but I doubt that will be suitable.

steering pump will work, you just need to scale the lift cylinder diameter to match.

i.e. on my GT14 the charge pump is only 700 psi, with the small wheel horse lift cylinder off a C-175 (1-1/4") the lift is only 0.4 tons.

Scale the cylinder up to the size needed to lift the 3 point (3") and its got 2.2 tons of lift, by the time you go to the ends of the lift arms thats around 1/2 ton of lift.

I'd say you don't need a long one :P

There's not much room under the seat or round the back for a cylinder, so 6-9 inch is about right on the stroke.

I might actually use a small 2 ton bottle jack to get mine all running before investing in a pump, spool valve and large cylinder....

Still waiting for trans bearings and seals. So I decided to clean up and paint the chassis, as I've decided to leave the wheel base as is. Also did the front axle. First coat of red oxide now on. Brush painted.

Can't decide really on the final colour. I've IH red, MF red, Fordson marine blue, black and JD green. A green chassis? Mmmm!

The chassis and front axle were introduced to wire brush and flap wheel. Wiped down with white spirit and treated to two coats of red oxide primer. Then they were given two coats of agricultural enamel, brush painted. Not the best of finishes, but I'm not after a concourse machine.

post-111-0-19642500-1406478614_thumb.jpg

Looking good Norm I'm wanting to put hydraulics on one of my machines and I was thinking about a pas pump which I think should be ok have you looked at the specs on the pumps on google? My mate runs a big winch on his defender with no major issues ! Keep it up James

just found this on the net Norm

l/min@465rpm 4.0 and 2.1 respectively

l/min@1500rpm 7.7 and 7.6 respectively

pressure@1500rpm 56.0 and 55.3 Bar respectively

Edited by diggerjames

I've pondered using one for a while norm, ever since my brother rebuilt his 200 tdi and I saw how dinky the pump is and easy to mount.

It's just the rest of the system that adds a lot of cost, spool valves, cylinders and plumbing isn't cheap...

Had a go at getting the steering wheel of it's shaft today. Sellock pin is seized solid. Looks as if some PO as tried in the past. One end is splayed out and cracked the wheel boss. Not beyond repair though. Going to give it plenty of applications of penetrating fluid over the next few days.

it's easier to take the whole steering shaft out with dash attached then clamp in a vice Norm...

I did Mark

Looks as if some PO as tried in the past. One end is splayed out and cracked the wheel boss. Not beyond repair though.

No progress due to being unable to locate replacement trans main bearings. Could have maybe got second hand from the states, but cost for something unknown put me off. Other matters have put it back as well.

I can get metric bearings of a slightly different size off the shelf. So in a couple of weeks time, I will get the cases bored out to take the metric OD and will sleeve the diff casings to take the bearing ID. Been rather frustrating but Hey Ho!

Took the cases to be machined yesterday. I'll get them back in a week or two. Father and son outfit and as usual, very busy. This morning I made the sleeves for the drive shafts, to take the metric bearings I got last week. A piece of pipe nearly the right size was used. Just needed a skim inside and a little more on the o/d.

post-111-0-08006400-1415191156_thumb.jpg

post-111-0-91369000-1415191163_thumb.jpg

First photo of sleeves and one bearing. The other bearing is at the machine shop. Before fitting the seals will be removed.

Second photo of sleeves fitted with a spot of bearing retainer. When the bearings are finally fitted, they will have a spot of retainer also. They are a nice push fit, but better safe than sorry.

The bearings, if anyone wants to know are as follows.

Ball bearing :-  60082RS-NSK

Needle roller bearing :- S1816

Seals :-  Complete set. 

R07510012A1N

R06208109A0N

R11213712A0N