Ian

Bench mounted milling machine

As some of you will know I've been rabbiting on about a milling machine for a few days.. Well today I went to look at it and thought it looked a handy bit of kit.. So I bought it..

I have no idea who made it as it doesn't have a maker plate on it anywhere, but it does have the feel of a very well built machine.. I'm guessing it's at least 50 years old!

Quite shockingly I have found a space in the shack for it that doesn't involve having to move loads of stuff around, in fact all I have to do is move the press a few inches to the right.. Oh, and build a small bench for the mill :)

Here's a few photo's, if anyone can help with who made it, I'd love to know :)

P7161732_zps726e6351.jpg

P7161734_zps1610882e.jpg

P7161738_zps2c3bf1cf.jpg

A spare motor and some milling wheel thingys..

P7161735_zpse88b14e1.jpg

You wouldn't want to get your fingers in the way of this one when it's on full spin! :D

P7161736_zpscb96b6c2.jpg

That should keep you busy for a while setting it up Ian! :) . Good useful piece of tooling. Impressed that you found space for it :lol: .

A Horizontal Miller, good for higher volume metal than the Vertical which I use.

Don't recognise the design/Maker, there were lots of machine manufacturers and equipment around during and after the 2nd W/War.

You may find the maker by spending a few lazy online evenings searching through the Milling Machine Archives on here - http://www.lathes.co.uk/page21.html

Put a good belt on it when initially setting it up, some can be a pain having to dismantle to retrofit a replacement on some. 

Thanks Guy's, thought you might like it :D

Looks a handy thing Ian. Will it take end mills as well?

It's won't Norm, just the wheel type cutters.

great bit of kit Ian, looks like a flexispeed mill

Koen

Thanks Koen, it's very close to a Flexispeed mill in looks, but I don't think it is one..

Don't know who made it Ian , but I think it's a great bit of kit , would look great rigged up to the PTO of a wheelhorse

I did think of PTO power for it Neil, not idea in a workshop but could make an interesting show display :)

That should keep you busy for a while setting it up Ian! :) . Good useful piece of tooling. Impressed that you found space for it :lol: .

A Horizontal Miller, good for higher volume metal than the Vertical which I use.

Don't recognise the design/Maker, there were lots of machine manufacturers and equipment around during and after the 2nd W/War.

You may find the maker by spending a few lazy online evenings searching through the Milling Machine Archives on here - http://www.lathes.co.uk/page21.html

Put a good belt on it when initially setting it up, some can be a pain having to dismantle to retrofit a replacement on some. 

Thanks for the lathes link Richard, that will keep me busy for a few hours looking through :)

You don't fancy swapping it for your vertical mill do you ? :D    Thought not :D

Yes I will be putting a new belt on it before it's fired up, I need to rewire the motor for peace of mind as well, the cable does look very old!

that looks very useful ian glad you have found space for it 

it should be much fun setting it up :D

Hi Ben, the fun part is it weighs so much!!   Getting it up to bench level is going to be interesting!