Anglo Traction

What I have to work with

Not a Shed, but a garage. My Lathe is an Old Machine. It's a Myford ML7 built in 1949 and one of the initial machines to be sold on the Home Market.

From 1945 - late 1948, all machines were Exported to try and make a tiny dent in the Country's crippling Debt from the war. 

I bought this in 1986 and was in a fairly rubbish state and many worn parts. Fully rebuilt.

post-94-0-03233900-1390222932_thumb.jpg

post-94-0-10885800-1390222861_thumb.jpg

Known as a 3. 1/2" Lathe, it will swing 9" dia in the Bed Gap. About 18" between 'Centres'. 

Many parts replaced with new and now have lots of Attachments to cover most jobs.

I have another  Micro Lathe US made called a 'Peatol' and is perfect for small fine tolerance work down to 0.0004".

Purchased this in 1984, it's still good as new and also has many Attachments  

I learnt how to work on and use these Machines with books and practice, which allowed me to start on projects like this 1 inch scale coal fired Traction Engine-

post-94-0-86239600-1390224077_thumb.jpg

I have a Light Milling Machine now as well, so have more versatility.  

Growing up I had an old lathe, although I am not sure of the year.  It's great to see these old machines being repaired, you certainly can't buy them like this any more, and you use it exquisitely.

what a lovely clean lathe Richard.

The last time i used a lathe was when i was a school about 38 years ago , i  manage to get an A level grade 1 in metal work . working with the lathe was one of my favorite subjects at school & i managed to build up quite a good relationship with the teacher , so much so i managed to take his daughter out on a date . & WOW she was Hot .

What is the story on the Steam engine , do you have anymore pics of it , ? How big is it ?

Naah !, just take the pics in Sepia mode and put 'em up. At least we have the StigVids of yours in use!.

If I make the videos black and white will it hide the mess more? :D

Yep! ,a real shame there are no more Metalwork Shops in Schools anymore. We had a fantastically fitted out Workshop in my School in the early 60's.

Forge, Brazing, Shapers,  Grinders, Lathes, Polishers, Pillar Drills Acid Baths etc. All run by one excellent Teacher. Never any accidents, apart from the odd scratch etc . Some excellent work turned out by youngsters then as well.  All too much of a dangerous environment now for them.

I have some more pics, but they're not super. I need to get back to work on it soon.

It's been in Mothballs for many years. Started it way back in '86' , but realised it was taking a lot of my time away from family. 

Boiler is all Copper and has a 'Pressure Vessel Test Certificate'. weights about 30lbs. 18inches long, 9 wide, 12 high, Rear Wheels are 6 1/8" dia. 168 pieces in each rear wheel.

Parts are fabricated or machined from castings, plate, bar and Sheet. About 9 different types of metal used. About 800 rivets used so far from 1/32" dia to 1/16" dia.

Runs on 40 psi. Displacement Lubricator. Winding Drum has 7 meters of Stainless 1.2 mm wire rope. 

2 Fwd speeds, 1 Reverse,  Brake is Wood Blocks on Cast Iron Drum.   

Built to a published Freelance design, but much modified to improve detail.

I'll put some updates on here when I start working on it again. Have about 2400 hours in it so far.    

Edited by Anglo Traction

2400 hours , WoW . i bet it looks amazing when its all fired up and working,

I rember making a steam osillating engine at school , it was a very simple steam engine with just a small meths burner with a small brass water boiler & a small brass piston that drove a flywheel , sadly i threw it away one day when i had the hump about something , wished i kept it now .

Nice to have a break from something, but I over did it with 22 years break  from the Engine !!!.

Got back to regular use recently making bits for Kohler Carbs as some may know. Throttle Plates for example-

Making a Mandrel-

post-94-0-61943600-1390611765_thumb.jpg

post-94-0-04234100-1390611811_thumb.jpg

post-94-0-89249500-1390611997_thumb.jpg

Finished and fitted-

post-94-0-20222000-1390612052_thumb.jpg

Is the coal fired engine functional, or just a static display Richard? 

Would love to see an action video...if possible. 

Either way, pure mechanical artwork there...kudos to you.   ;)

I've only run and tested it on Compressed Air so far Craig. Have the Ashpan Grate to finish (black Iron and Stainless Steel).

I'll get to the Painted stage then fire it with Coal. Won't  just leave it in a case.