rotoscytheben

westwood lawnbug!!

I hope nobody minds me bumping this thread :o (I've been away with work for ages). But I have to say I'm a Westwood fan and it's great to see someone keep a Lawnbug original especially since they are an endangered species now. I've always loved how unique these are, this must be the original Austin Mini of the lawnmower world.

its well worth restoring they are quite hard to find now as the lawnmower racing boys keep choping them up, but the good thing about that is, you can buy all the parts they dont use very cheaply

I kind of thought it was a shame to scrap it..given it is all there ..the rest is in a box..ive restored cars motocrossers bmxs old tri ang stuff but never a ride on..good to know im not the only mad one!

From memory a Bug's chassis numbers was on a tin foil sticker so possibly not much chance of it having survived. The engine is a Tecumseh, possibly a V70. Tecumseh engines of that era had their engine details either stamped into a small metal tag often secured by one of the screws retaining the valve chest cover, or stamped into the blower housing. Tecumseh used two sets of numbers , the first giving the spec of the engine , such as the crank orientation, horse power and application and the second showing the build year and the day of build ( the day being shown as a numer between 1 and 364.

Edited by Wristpin

On 04/02/2015 at 10:54 PM, Wristpin said:

From memory a Bug's chassis numbers was on a tin foil sticker so possibly not much chance of it having survived. The engine is a Tecumseh, possibly a V70. Tecumseh engines of that era had their engine details either stamped into a small metal tag often secured by one of the screws retaining the valve chest cover, or stamped into the blower housing. Tecumseh used two sets of numbers , the first giving the spec of the engine , such as the crank orientation, horse power and application and the second showing the build year and the day of build ( the day being shown as a numer between 1 and 364.

Hi, you probably have seen me on here before. Haha. I had a Westwood Bug and my one had a Briggs 3.5hp (I think) engine in it. It was painted the original white as well as wheels. I just wondered, did Westwood later switch to Tecumseh of vice versa in the later years of manufacture of the bug? Thanks.

On 04/02/2015 at 6:38 PM, classic cars ni said:

Was given this a while ago..after reading this thread im gonna restore it...what do you rekon...it is completepost-381-0-97762500-1423074648_thumb.jpg

Any ideas on engine type and year of build..thanks in advance

Would love to see some more pictures! Haha.

20 hours ago, Chris said:

Harry had a minter lawn bug a while back which run

No doubt he sold it:D

Yes saw that one at Tractor World Auction Chris but had no means of getting it home :(

I believe it did find its way onto the bay of e...

4 hours ago, WestwoodW8Gazelle said:

Love the paint job! Just like out of the factory. I kinda want one. 😃 What happened to the Briggs engine? 

Ratlle can job, but it's not come up too bad :)

It originally had a Tecumseh, Ben put a Honda in it, it will probably stay there...

The Gemini was introduced in the 70s with the Suffolk cast iron engine and a “ sealed for life” welded chain case. The later Flymo DM  bore more than a passing resemblance . Not sure what or if there was a connection but both had a similar optional tipping barrow body which picked up on the chain case lug used by the rotor guard  and the rotors were replaced by lug tyred wheels..

16 hours ago, Wristpin said:

The Gemini was introduced in the 70s with the Suffolk cast iron engine and a “ sealed for life” welded chain case. The later Flymo DM  bore more than a passing resemblance . Not sure what or if there was a connection but both had a similar optional tipping barrow body which picked up on the chain case lug used by the rotor guard  and the rotors were replaced by lug tyred wheels..

Thanks for the info ! :thumbs:

17 hours ago, nigel said:

Never seen one of them before Paul

You know me mate, I always find the weird stuff !! :D

On 03/01/2018 at 10:23 PM, nigel said:

Very nice 👍🏻:thumbs:

On 04/01/2018 at 12:08 AM, WestwoodGazelle said:

What a beauty, great job on the Bug! :thumbs: I am so pleased to see some of these being restored :)

Thanks chaps :thumbs: