Wallfish

O&R ORline Air Compressor (Compressor made by W.R. Brown)

:WMOM:

You found the right place!

You found someone looking for one too as I'm definitely interested in it.

There are some compressors around but the compressors aren't common. There are certainly both more common and more rare O&R tools out there but they fall in the more rare spectrum.

You can download a manual for it in the manuals sticky thread. Scroll down and you will see "Orline Compressor"

22 hours ago, Beer Man said:

I have a few questions, how common are they, and can one get manuals for it, or how do I get in contact with someone who knows, or is somebody looking for these?

:WMOM:

That looks in very nice condition, they don't turn up very often (maybe no-one can identify them once the decals wear off or get damaged), I'm still looking for one too, not seen another in the UK apart from the one Paul rebuilt with the compressor from an electric Speedy Sprayer (made by WR Brown).

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ASYDAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PP1&lr&pg=PA217#v=onepage&q&f=false

The Orline advert shows it with a sprayer (part of an accessory kit comprising of a spray gun, hose & tire chuck).

312973417_OrlineAirCompressora.jpg.23e76a868aa3853557679443a24cc382.jpg

The instructions and parts diagram for this compressor can be found in the manuals sticky thread.

David

That is so cool, I have never seen or heard of one of these before. Does anyone have a working example? I would so love to see one of these inflating a tire or charging a small air tank.  I am a bit surprised at the 1700rpm compressor speed. That is awfully fast. The piston in the compressor must be smaller than what the O&R has....Very very cool. Now I need to add one of these to my want list. Sears sold a Power Products two cylinder engine which was half air compressor back in the 1950s. It was the smallest gas powered air compressor I heard of until I saw this.

Chris

These compressors don't have a piston, it uses a rubber diaphragm instead.

The speedy sprayer versions were sold without motors for around $30 in the early 1960's, see the google books link in post #5 for the 1961 advert.

Anyone fancy a challenge, there is a speedy sprayer on ePay at the moment for $40 (or make offer), remove the 1725 R.P.M. motor and add the appropriate O&R engine.

Only problem is it's pick-up/collection only from Louisville, Kentucky;  https://www.ebay.com/itm/143159860677

David

Maybe they can be persuaded to ship it :fingerscrossed:, it'd probably help a bit if they removed that heavy electric motor too, it would have gone long ago if it wasn't pick-up only.

David

On 12/24/2014 at 8:27 AM, pmackellow said:

Here's my half a compressor set !!

post-99-0-63735000-1419434825_thumb.jpg

post-99-0-52447100-1419434874_thumb.jpg

What engine model and gear box are used on the Orline compressor?

The engine with gearbox is a Type 216, as mentioned in the compressor parts list available in the sticky thread.

On 1/24/2017 at 9:52 PM, factory said:

Hopefully the attached pdf I have created of the parts list/diagram & operating instructions will be useful in rebuilding the compressor set.

Ohlsson & Rice Orline Compressor Parts List & Operating Instructions 1969.pdf 552.64 kB · 10 downloads

David

The parts list/instructions can be found in the above post, as well as the manuals "sticky" thread.

Does anyone have the missing page??? the compressor diaphragm replacement instruction ends abruptly with "When this valve becomes......", the pages are numbered 9 for the instructions & 11 for the parts list. :scratchhead:

David

P.S. I've merged the two compressor threads

According to the 1971 Series 13A price list (special types), engine Type 216 has a 1700 R.P.M. single reduction gearbox with centrifugal clutch.

It looks very similar to the Type 195 (H-III) but with the fuel/gas tank fitted on the opposite side to normal (i.e. below the carb), the Type 216 uses fuel/gas tank part number #A-32-30 with bracket #97-12.

David

On 11/16/2019 at 8:02 AM, factory said:

According to the 1971 Series 13A price list (special types), engine Type 216 has a 1700 R.P.M. single reduction gearbox with centrifugal clutch.

It looks very similar to the Type 195 (H-III) but with the fuel/gas tank fitted on the opposite side to normal (i.e. below the carb), the Type 216 uses fuel/gas tank part number #A-32-30 with bracket #97-12.

David

What other tools might have used this type of gearbox?

The Orline Hedge trimmers have a reduction gearbox with the same gears (66 tooth & 18 tooth), if your looking for engine types that may have been removed from these on ePay, search for types 13A183, 13A208, 13A224 and 13B259.

David

Thanks David!  I thought I had a used gearbox like this but turns out I don’t. I have an engine I think I can use but need to figure out what to do for a gearbox.

Was your used gearbox from a chainsaw by any chance? those are the same reduction but the PTO is on the wrong side for the compressor.

David

Exactly. I had forgotten the PTO was flipped. At first I thought the compressors just had direct drive until I looked a little closer, I wasn’t expecting it to use a gear box.

On 3/20/2021 at 6:09 PM, CNew said:

the PTO was flipped

Think this should solve your problem

How about flipping it? Found this NOS gear sitting in the parts stash

The shaft will be lower rather than up higher but it should work if you want to try flipping the PTO in your chainsaw case. I've never tried it but always wanted too.

IMG_0788.JPG.c88d1c5aa875aa7d9b7206b7a56518fc.JPG

Interesting idea - thanks!  Would you just have to drill out the opposite side of the cover plate for the shaft to go through?  Not sure how you would reorient the little bearings that ride on the short section of the shaft(I’m trying to think by memory) but I’ll have to take a closer look at this tonight.  I’m intrigued though...

There's a welch plug in the closed end. remove and reuse it for the other side to close the end and the bearings should all be the same. No need to change them. Plug and play except for moving the welch plug from one side to the other for the closed end. It may be easier said than done for that plug as I have never removed one. YET

The NOS gear on the left in the pic will be flipped 180 so the shaft goes out through the end of your box which has the plug in it now.

I'm about 99% sure it will work.

IMG_0788.JPG.c88d1c5aa875aa7d9b7206b7a56518fc.JPG.64138969c471a2bd3973376ecde52657.JPG

Just went and had a better look. That doesn't seem to be a plug to close the end so it will need to be drilled and then use something to seal the other end