pmackellow

Turbair Sprayer

Finally scored me a Turbair with the help of member Darmic1. The seller refused to ship it to the U.S. so Darren helped me out. In the process of it all, we made a trade of O&R tools so some U.S. tools are now headed to the U.K. I'm looking forward to breaking it down, giving it a good cleaning and a complete refurbish. Now on the hunt for a canister which was used for the chemical fog so if anyone has any idea of what they looked like or the type that might fit into the connection, please let me know. It appears it would have been a pressurized can.

These sprayer/foggers have a VERY unique and interesting carb set up where they extended the diaphragm pump assembly away from the carb body.

post-9-0-37767000-1419543176_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-19053100-1419543194_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-38990500-1419543207_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-05915200-1419543223_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-99097900-1419543233_thumb.jpg

The chemicals are gravity feed from a bottle, in use it would have been held by the two foam handles with the engine upside down.

I have a handbook for the later Turbair Fox version (not O&R powered) and two electric versions the Scamp & Sprite. Will try and scan a few pages at the weekend.

David

So you got that Turbair in the end then Wallfish sorry I couldn't help out more :(

Thanks again for sending me that link! The seller was very slow to respond to any communication when you first sent me the link but finally did. It took a while but finally got him to sell it for a reasonable price. Darren had to call him since he posted his phone # otherwise I may still be working at it.

Now I just need the O&R package I sent to Darren, to actually show up at his door. He sent the Turbair a day after I sent his stuff and it was delivered in 4 days, his package has been out there for almost 2 weeks and may be stuck in customs.

Here are some scans of the later Turbair Handbook with should help you with finding one of the plastic chemical bottles.
The book must date from before 1984, as DDT was banned in the UK then.
One bottle (1.14 litres/1 quart) lasts for about 20 minutes use.

I also did a bit of research and found out that the electric version is still being made, it is sold as the Electrafan in the UK by Micron and as the Turbair Electrafan in the US by Dramm
The new ones seem to come with an empty bottle (may be different size) but I can't find anywhere that sells new spare bottles.

David

post-325-0-10661100-1420325406_thumb.jpg

post-325-0-06676900-1420325408_thumb.jpg

post-325-0-37757900-1420325409_thumb.jpg

post-325-0-86321200-1420325410_thumb.jpg

post-325-0-37234800-1420325412_thumb.jpg

post-325-0-07075300-1420325483.jpg

On 2/6/2017 at 9:34 PM, Captain said:

I have some old bottles, with chemicals, at least 25 years old are they still any good

On 2/7/2017 at 4:44 PM, pmackellow said:

Hello Captain and welcome to the forum

The chemicals are probably illegal by now and will need disposing of

If you have any (empty) bottles spare I still need a couple please :thumbs:

Welcome to the forum.

Don't throw the original bottles away, these machines which are still being made & used (with a different shape bottle) are often sold without the bottle. Yes many of the old pesticides are now banned, such as DDT & Zineb (not in all countries though when I checked), but some are still available such as certain types of Acaricide & Malathion, I haven't checked all of the list in the brochure above.

If the contents are not wanted they could be transferred (wear gloves as the concentrated chemicals are probably harmful) into a modern bottle, labelled and disposed of properly.

Though some people working at waste/recycling centres haven't a clue what to do with chemicals, I took a jar of chemicals to my local waste/recycling centre & when asked where to dispose of it, he took it off me and threw it in the bottle bank with the contents.:jaw:

Anyone reading this should check for current info on the chemicals to find out if they are banned or restricted and how harmful they are.

David

I have a full bottle of cleaning fluid, Isi-BUTANOL

A one third bottle of ACARICIDE for res spider mite on roses and glasshouse cucumbers, chrysanthemums and tomatoes.

A third of a bottle of DICAMBATE for Apple and pear scab, blackcurrant leaf spot and lettuce downy mildew.

Are these all out of licence?

The bottle thread is 30mm outside diameter.

Do you still have the sprayer for them?

Butanol based cleaning chemicals are still widely used. I wonder if Isi-Butanol is a PBI brand name for Iso-Butanol.

Acarcides are a type of pesticide, containing different chemicals depending on what they are used for. The book posted above says it's a mix of Dicofol/Tetradifon, Dicofol is still used but limited in use per year/crop. Can't find anything useful info for Tetradifon though.

Based on the description Dicambate appears to replace others in the book above, can't find any info for it on it's own though.

Anyone reading this should check for current info on the chemicals to find out if they are banned or restricted and how harmful they are.

David

Some manuals for the battery & mains electric versions of the Turbair (now called Electrofan) are available from Micron here;

http://www.microngroup.com/files/electrafan_12_manual_-_english_(rev__4).pdf
http://www.microngroup.com/files/electrafan_240_manual_-_english_(rev__3).pdf

Looking at the parts diagrams it appears they haven't changed much over the years.

There is also a video on youtube of the battery powered Turbair, compare it with the old picture in post 7 where virtually no protective clothing is being worn! Link below;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XCRxDGdm0A

David

This arrived on Friday to join my collection, a very nice barely used Turbair Tot 2S.

SAM_20054a.jpg.7aef190dcf0a4485e637fa4def107ae2.jpg

SAM_20061a.jpg.0b7ba49d8652a31fe76de0269bb1a568.jpg

I also spotted something I hadn't noticed before with the Turbair sprayers, the carb idle adjustment screw (without the spring) is used to jam the governor vane & keep the throttle open, which will keep the engine running at an ungoverned maximum speed. Here is a picture from the manual showing this, I haven't found any references in the manual as to why they did this though.

5a6645aa58898_TurbairTot2SCarb.jpg.b15e5d14ac4a95b8bd23c88d78aea771.jpg

And a picture of this on the Turbair.

SAM_20057a.jpg.2a4b482576f461d38e7ebb00a67517d1.jpg

I have also checked my other two Turbairs and they are both the same, as are the ones I have saved pictures of in my archive.

David