paul

BSA Power unit

Hi All,

Have got another engine, No not out the normal barn. Problem I have is I have never seen one before, so know nothing about it.

The stickers on the fuel tank say BSA POWER UNIT. I found some markings on the bottom of the block saying 120-RG-3127. Can anyone identify it by these numbers and letters so I can try and get a handbook for it?

It didn't work when I got it, would turn over but recoil rope wouldn't go back in, had a look and the tension spring has rusted through also there was no compression so took rocker cover off and found a valve stuck and push rod flapping in the wind. I have sorted the valve now so I have compression. Havent got a clue about any settings though yet.

Paulpost-109-0-82341000-1416430215.jpgpost-109-0-24394900-1416430234.jpg

Not a common Stationary Engine you have there, made from 1962, 120cc 3.2hp Petrol/Paraffin ohv.

I can't help with parts or info, but may have some luck if you also check out /search for the 420 version.

Being an industrial type and a different design to motorbike engines, it may also still be worth checking out a 'Classic Bike' company.

Would be good to know how you get on with it.

Hi,

I found out some more on this. It is a 120cc model g as you say Richard. The r stands for reduction gear. I have found the bottom of the cowling has rusted away from being on the floor, I have cut the bits out and welded new in. I followed your advise about classic bike companies and now have new points and condenser  on the way. The points setting is stamped on the flywheel. I have managed to source a manual and recoil spring (still waiting to hear back).

Thanks

Paul

Hi. Engine coming on now. Electrics all sorted. Have managed to get a spares manual so just need to get a fuel pipe and throttle cable then i will see if it runs.

Paul

Might seem a silly question but have drainsd the oil but cant find a filler plug. Theres a plug at the bottom for draining and a dipstick above it. Thats all i can see. Maybe i am the dipstick. Anyone know how to put oil in?

Paul

The bit on top of the valve cover is a breather. Dont worry though paul at meetens has told me where it is. Above the dipstick is a crankcase breather, you fill it through there

Hi All,

Guess what. There was no filler plug or crankcase breather above the dipstick, if you take the rocker cover off and valve breather, there is a trough where the valve push rods are, you fill that and it seeps down the side of the guides, quite quickly as well. So that's that problem sorted. (next)

Forgot to say WELL DONE Stormin you were right

Hi All, post-109-0-06188900-1419107388_thumb.jpgpost-109-0-39567000-1419107401_thumb.jpgpost-109-0-25682000-1419107423_thumb.jpg The BSA is now finished and powering a bench grinder. Just got to sort some decals and a proper base.

Paul

if you take the rocker cover off and valve breather,

Do you really need to take the rocker cover off? Does not that clip on top of the breather not swing to one side, to allow the breather to be removed?

Nice little engine BTW. :thumbs:

Yes Stormin it does slide to one side to lift the breather out which sits in a slot like a slide to let the oil go into the cavity by the valve guides which is where the oil seeps down. You learn something new everyday. If I get bored tomorrow I may sharpen some drill bits.

Paul

Hi Paul

I hope you get this message and that you will reply.

I have done what you did 5 years ago and bought the exact model engine and as you I have found out very little about the unit.

I really want a manual and some info on the Solex B20 carb, please can you help.

Have you still got the engine and how’s it going?

Regards Jim

21 hours ago, Stormin said:

Pauls not been on here since July 2017. Hopefully someone may know where he is and let him know.

Paul at Meetens may be able to help you. He's quite a clued up and helpful chap. Google Meetens to get in touch.

JimStDavids, If you click (or hover the cursor) on Paul's name on the left of his post, it will open another window and give you the opportunity to send him a personal message.

If he has enabled this in his settings, it will give him a notice of your mssge in his Email inbox and prompt him to visit this forum again . 

Hi. I no longer have the engine . But it was running lovely when I sold it. I got a manual for it from Paul at martens as people have said and some parts too. I hope he can help you out