Wallfish

Little Petro mini bike

Courtesy of 10242130

Here is a Brochure picture of a Little Petro minibike.It was made in the early to mid 60's by Odom Manufacturing.This is the same company that made the Petro Powered Products Drill that is on this site along with quite a few other Ohllson & Rice powered tools.Jim Odom also Produced the Comet C Saw for Comet.I will be putting pictures of my Little Petro bikes on this site soon,I need to crop them all as the file size's are too big . Only about 12 of these bikes have been located to date,quite a rare bike.

This particular Brochure shows the bike with a TAS engine,but early on,they used the Olhsson & Rice.

With O&R

post-9-0-66711700-1416517515_thumb.png

post-9-0-21357300-1416517758_thumb.png

Thank you! I just may do that. If I can't find a P7, or if I decide to use the motor I believe to be better designed. I am most likely going to deviate from how my bike was when new. I like the blue paint much better from an aesthetic viewpoint. There are no serial numbers or I.D. on the frame, so I can build it with late or early production specs if I want. I may port the lil 'smoker and up the carb size just for fun...lol. Either way, it's gonna be awesome to see it done, and hear it run again. It's my very first piston motor as a lil gearhead. Popped my cherry, if you will. Lol. Ken

The better designed engine will be the P7, the Japanese ripped off the basic design but made improvements which made their version much more reliable. Those guys always seem to engineer a good engine.

To be quite honest, the O&Rs are good for collecting, not so reliable for constant use.

Hello Everyone. I'm trying to restore a Little Petro. My wife had one 50+ years ago. I need HELP.  I need : Seat, Chain Guard/Cover, a better Tanaka Engine and/or carburetor rebuild kit, Engine mounting bracket, Gas tank, Blue Hand grips. Maybe you have a chain guard or a seat .... and a mold could be made OR maybe you have a mold? If you have any Little Petro parts or a lead from some please Private Message me or send info to hkillackey@aol.com . Thanks

My Little Petro motor TANAKA TAS P7 has been restored rebuilt. Does anyone know if the Clutch is a WET Clutch OR a DRT Clutch? That clutch is inside a compartment that has gears. The cover that contains the clutch and gears has to large screws for oil fill and drain at the bottom ...

So if that compartment is filled will oil ..... Its a Wet clutch .... It will grab ?

DSC03062.JPG

Engine above restored .... WET or DRY clutch ? ..... I have not put oil in the GEAR & CLUTCH compartment  ........ yet ?This is the same engine as 2 or 3 photos above 

56711226421__7EBF185A-FCDC-4075-BA65-6C7EF6E9400A.jpg

Edited by H Killackey

On 12/23/2018 at 3:01 PM, H Killackey said:

My Little Petro motor TANAKA TAS P7 has been restored rebuilt. Does anyone know if the Clutch is a WET Clutch OR a DRT Clutch? That clutch is inside a compartment that has gears. The cover that contains the clutch and gears has to large screws for oil fill and drain at the bottom ...

So if that compartment is filled will oil ..... Its a Wet clutch .... It will grab ?

I don't know about the Tas Motor, but the O&R gearboxes are filled with one & a half tablespoons of grease (from the chainsaw manual), someone who sold & serviced the O&R chicken power kits in San Diego said that the clutch wouldn't engage properly if there was too much grease on the clutch, see here;

https://motorbicycling.com/threads/lack-of-speed-with-chicken-motor.19076/#post-632019

David

H Killackey,

What did you do to get your TAS P-5 so clean and shiny? Did you polish it or have it soda blasted?  It looks incredible!

Clint

On 1/20/2019 at 8:02 PM, CNew said:

H Killackey,

What did you do to get your TAS P-5 so clean and shiny? Did you polish it or have it soda blasted?  It looks incredible!

Clint

It was media blasted. Im not sure with what exactly - and It's a TAS P-7

Here's my resto-mod today. You can scroll up above to my April 2018 post and see the before picture. The chain guard mold will be made this summer 2019 - then copies. I will later in the year make the seat mold and copies 

DSC07477.JPG

Wow, that’s a beauty- that turned out amazing, very nice work!  Thank you for the photo.  Good to know about the blasting, I may look into that as well.  When I first went through the original post I saw the little orange NOS P-5 engine that Wallfish had and assumed it was this engine but I see now it’s a P-7.  I have a P-7 as well that is mounted to an ice auger and it’s in pretty nice shape.  I picked up a little orange P-5 not too long ago but haven’t been able to dig into it yet since I’ve been obsessed with the little Ohlsson Rice Engines. I hope to mess with P-5 before long and at least see if I can get it running.

One challenge I’m having with the old P-5 is locating the proper spark plug. The one that’s in the engine now is a NGK C-40 and I can’t seem to find any information on this plug or it’s equivallent number today. The P-7 wasn’t too difficult but the plug on the P-5 is much smaller.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Clint

P-7 engines came with small & medium diameter spark plugs. I have 2 P-7's and the heads & plugs are different. I went down to an old lawn mower / weed wacker repair shop and he had the plugs. 

Great, thank you. Can you provide the spark plug part numbers that are stamped on them? I might be able to source these if I can get a couple numbers to start from.

Thanks!

Clint

9 hours ago, CNew said:

One challenge I’m having with the old P-5 is locating the proper spark plug. The one that’s in the engine now is a NGK C-40 and I can’t seem to find any information on this plug or it’s equivallent number today.

The one in post #8 looks to be a NGK C40 too, I can't find much about it either apart from it's not in the NGK catalogue anymore. I imagine it's a 10mm thread similar to the Champion UY6 used on the early O&R's, or it could even be smaller i.e. 8mm, can you confirm the thread size?

David

33 minutes ago, factory said:

The one in post #8 looks to be a NGK C40 too, I can't find much about it either apart from it's not in the NGK catalogue anymore. I imagine it's a 10mm thread similar to the Champion UY6 used on the early O&R's, or it could even be smaller i.e. 8mm, can you confirm the thread size?

David

For my P-7 engine in the photos that has the small diameter Spark Plug (10mm major thread diameter) I use NGK CMR7A. For my other P-7 engine that has the large diameter Spark Plug (about 14mm) I purchased Champion CJ14. Since my usage will only be a few times a year for maybe 5 minutes it really won't matter ... It's not like the engine(s) will be raced or held at 90%+ RPM's for any long durations.

Excellent, thank you very much. I think I need the 10mm version for my P-5. I’ll look for a CMR7A.  Much appreciated!

Clint

37 minutes ago, CNew said:

Excellent, thank you very much. I think I need the 10mm version for my P-5. I’ll look for a CMR7A.  Much appreciated!

Clint

Your welcome Clint. If you come across any Little Petro plastic parts such as: Seat or Chain Guard please contact me here or at hkillackey@aol.com      Any part I can buy might be a better starting point for my mold making than my current plan