Wallfish

Little Petro mini bike

5 hours ago, factory said:

The one in post #8 looks to be a NGK C40 too, I can't find much about it either apart from it's not in the NGK catalogue anymore. I imagine it's a 10mm thread similar to the Champion UY6 used on the early O&R's, or it could even be smaller i.e. 8mm, can you confirm the thread size?

David

Thanks David!  I have a couple Champion UY6 plugs I bought for my first O&R engine, I’ll take a look and see if they will also fit the TAS P-5.

Clint

5 minutes ago, CNew said:

Wow, that’s one gorgeous saw!  Great photo David!

Just a FYI. The chainsaw has a Tanaka P-7 engine. The guy on eBay that sells the engine decals made them say "P-74c" so nobody would copy/steal a picture to make their own. The problem is that when you buy on from him on eBay you get "P-74c" and not the correct "P-7" as produced by TAS. I know because I have purchased 2 sets -

Good to know. I’ve seen tha P-74c decal on eBay and I always wondered what engine that was for - makes sense now. I’ve purchases O&R decals from that same guy before.  My little TAS P-5 is in need of a decal, although I’ve seen a couple other P-5 engines that didn’t have decals either so maybe they didn’t have one.  My P-7 has a decal that is still in good shape.

On 9/1/2016 at 9:57 PM, Webhead said:

P9016113[1].JPG

This TAS P5 engine from Webhead has a P5 decal, the chainsaw picture is one of Webhead's too, I believe he sold it.

I only have one TAS Motor (Tanaka) engine myself, which is a bit newer than these.

I don't like the modifying of the model number, if it is wrong it just adds confusion :scratchhead:, I do have the original tag for a TAS P71 engine though.

David

That photo from Webhead is like the engine I have. It’s interesting, mine has the P-5 sticker on the front but I think on the bottom of the recoil cover there is also a sticker with what looks to be P-4, I’ll have to verify when I get home.

Edited by CNew

I added some photos. Actually it turns out that the sticker on the front of mine looks like it might have P-64. The sticker is damaged so it’s really hard to make out exactly what the number is before the “4” but it looks like a “6”. Then, the actual tag that has the serial number indicates P-5. All stickers look original to the engine.

3D423462-00A6-48A9-A191-23CE1C52B4A8.jpeg

CE240E41-62B2-4056-AE5E-234E1B7411B8.jpeg

D949356B-BEF7-465E-A07B-B1C69A914B71.jpeg

On 2/27/2019 at 7:06 PM, H Killackey said:

Your welcome Clint. If you come across any Little Petro plastic parts such as: Seat or Chain Guard please contact me here or at hkillackey@aol.com      Any part I can buy might be a better starting point for my mold making than my current plan

I have a Little Petro chain guard.  It's mostly complete except it's broke off where it hooks to the axle. 

Craig H, Hello. If you can sell OR loan me your chain guard I will have a solid model made and a few produced. Please respond to me - Hkillackey@AOL.com

Also - Is the chain guard like this one ?2004437345_ScreenShot2019-03-29at8_37_38AM.png.d2cc772a009cfa7028b6204fd89f5a0c.png

Edited by H Killackey

1 hour ago, H Killackey said:

Craig H, Hello. If you can sell OR loan me your chain guard I will have a solid model made and a few produced. Please respond to me - Hkillackey@AOL.com

Also - Is the chain guard like this one ?2004437345_ScreenShot2019-03-29at8_37_38AM.png.d2cc772a009cfa7028b6204fd89f5a0c.png

Yes it's just like that except it's broke off where the bolt goes through.  I'll email you later tonight when I can get to my computer for details.  I can't sell it but may be able to loan it if you're gonna make some!!  

I'm fairly certain the seller is @H Killackey , the restored bike in the ebay listing looks the same as the one in post #17.

Also he was talking about having a few covers made, presumably to sell & help cover the costs of having them made.

David

I didn't / couldn't find any Little Petro plastic parts (Seat, Chain Guard) ---- So I have made a few for me and Im selling a Seat & Chain Guard on eBay now. in 2020 I will be making the Little Petro plastic coil covers...... since I can't find / buy them.

3 hours ago, krackermeal55 said:

I have a basket case Petro frame, fork, wheels, and motor mount. I do not have the transmission but I do have a nice clean(possibly NOS) P-5 TAS engine for it. 

Is that something you have plans for or looking to sell?

I'm interested in a basket case. Kind of my specialty it seems

4 hours ago, krackermeal55 said:

I have a basket case Petro frame, fork, wheels, and motor mount. I do not have the transmission but I do have a nice clean(possibly NOS) P-5 TAS engine for it. 

Very Interesting ...... I might have Little Petro transmission ..... I'm not sure of the condition ..... the motor was torn apart and the motor orange painted cover was damaged. Also - I have just started a Little Petro Group on Facebook as another source for getting in touch with other Little Petro owners and fans. On Facebook search Little Petro Group 

13 hours ago, Wallfish said:
16 hours ago, krackermeal55 said:

Is that something you have plans for or looking to sell?

I'm interested in a basket case. Kind of my specialty it seems

Is that the one from posts #3 & 4? It looks a nice challenge.

Anyone know how many of these mini-bikes are known to have survived now, a few more must have turned up since the first post from 2014 (possibly older than that as it was from the previous forum).

There are a few more Little Petro minibikes with both O&R & Tanaka P7 engines and Jim Odom pictured with one here; 1/4 MINIBIKE (LITTLE PETRO)

David

No, that is my OG Petro, since I've had since new. I bought this one off Ebay to get a motor/trans. 

20191201_114041.jpg

This is kinda how mine sits now. Have a P7 with all the parts I'd need, except gaskets. Have two trans, which be hard to let go of, because I doubt I'd find another. Just bought a seat from H Killackey. And, have the foot rests, and chainguard mould I was lucky enough to score from S Grier. Just need to put it together. 

20191201_114216.jpg

20191201_114057.jpg

Edited by krackermeal55
Error

Here is MY bike with the NOS P5 and early SQUARE Tas mount. I was planning to restore the blue frame and put the P5 into it. Then I'd have TWO left on Earth lol

20191201_114203.jpg

20191201_114125.jpg

Oh, and BTW H Killackey, contact me about making coil covers. I have two, I believe. 

I have started a Facebook group specific for Little Petro's.  You can join the Little Petro Group and we can learn, trade, find info about obtaining parts, share photo's & etc. Do you have a better Coil Cover than this one that you would like to sell? Mine shown needs a repair around the wire hole. 

DSC07408.JPG

DSC07409.JPG

DSC07410.JPG

On 12/1/2019 at 4:57 PM, krackermeal55 said:

Here is MY bike with the NOS P5 and early SQUARE Tas mount. I was planning to restore the blue frame and put the P5 into it. Then I'd have TWO left on Earth lol

:coolphotos: Thanks for sharing those pictures of your two Little Petro minibikes, I'm guessing the TAS P-54 is the engine specification with the reduction gearbox (transmission), finding any diagrams for these really early TAS (Tanaka) engines seems impossible.

I'm still looking for an early TAS motor for my collection, but they don't seem as common in the UK. :fingerscrossed:

David