slf-uk

Ultrasonic cleaner

Something to think about before you buy one, I use mine mainly for cleaning a single carb but even though they have a built in heater it is a bit slow so I fill mine from the kettle, trouble is it needs 3 kettles full to cover the carb, not a big problem but frustrating when you just want to get it set up, so a smaller one would have probably suited me better, except when I put my bike carbs in it, not big enough for a bank of 4 carbs and you don't really want to be separating them. So ideally I need a smaller one and a bigger one but that's not going to happen. I still haven't tried carb cleaner, I just use washing up liquid.

Thanks for your input sten, ive been looking at them for a while and not used one yet.

I didn't want to get a smaller one and find I cant get my carbs ect in it, although its 6 litres I think it holds about 5.

its a learning curve for me so will update when it arrives and ive tried it out

My cleaner arrived today :woohoo: not as big as i was expecting, its just right.

its got a drain tap on the side which is handy, I've put my cup in the basket so you can see the size of it.

glad I didn't order a smaller one

will update you once I've had time to use it

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On 29 May 2016 at 10:22 PM, sten said:

Something to think about before you buy one, I use mine mainly for cleaning a single carb but even though they have a built in heater it is a bit slow so I fill mine from the kettle, trouble is it needs 3 kettles full to cover the carb, not a big problem but frustrating when you just want to get it set up, so a smaller one would have probably suited me better, except when I put my bike carbs in it, not big enough for a bank of 4 carbs and you don't really want to be separating them. So ideally I need a smaller one and a bigger one but that's not going to happen. I still haven't tried carb cleaner, I just use washing up liquid.

Not sure of the validity of this but we were warned not to pre fill with water hotter than the machine's max temp as apparently filling with just boiled water can damage the bonding between the "vibrating thingys" and the bottom of the tank.

Perhaps worth bearing in mind.

6 minutes ago, Wristpin said:

Not sure of the validity of this but we were warned not to pre fill with water hotter than the machine's max temp as apparently filling with just boiled water can damage the bonding between the "vibrating thingys" and the bottom of the tank.

The unit I use at work states that it is not advisable to fill the cleaner with per heated water, I would fill it cold and let it warm up personally...

27 minutes ago, Wristpin said:

Thanks, I will have to be more patient and perhaps read the instructions more thoroughly. :) 

Just now, Triumph66 said:

This will be a learning curve for me when I get and use a ultrasonic cleaner. Any other tips worth mentioning to a novice?

Not really other than what has been discussed already, they are a very useful item, and the price of Chris' one makes it very tempting !! :D

Had a play with the cleaner today, first I measured how much water it takes which was 8 pints i then took a pint out and added the metal cleaning liquid.

the heater took an hour to get up to 70c i then put the parts in for cleaning and set the timer for 30 minutes.

i wasn't sure what to expect and a couple of bits were well corroded and i thought i might be asking a lot but was quite suprized with the results.

heres some photos of before and after

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi there,

I have been using a 6 liter chinese ultrasonic cleaner for years now. Mostly carburettor cleaning due to the limited size. I tried all sorts of cleaning agents, but I have had most succes with a mixture of 10% toilet cleaner to 90% wind screen washer fluid (for brass cleaning) or 20% toilet cleaner to 80% wind screen washer fluid (for aluminum, zinc and steel cleaning). Don't use to much toilet cleaner! Brass will discolour and cheap aluminium (read: japanese carburettors) disappears if you go above 35% toilet cleaner. Both items are cheap, effective and easy to get.

I usually run it at 45°C for 1 hour with toothbrush scrubbing at the end. A couple of examples can be seen here:

KS600%20benzinfilter%20f%C3%B8r-efter%20 

KS600%20benzinfilter%20f%C3%B8r-efter%20

KS600%20karburator%20f%C3%B8r-efter%201.

KS600%20karburator%20f%C3%B8r-efter%202.

It's parts that wasn't touched since 1945 and I think the pictures speak for themselves. I did paint the intake elbow though :-)

/Steen