OldBuzzard

Bolens HDT1000 info needed

Gentlemen,

I am in need of some info on the Bolens HDT1000.

Mine is in the process of being refurbished and I would like to get all of the proper decals on it.

The parts manual clearly shows that it has an 'extra' (as compared to the HT23 and HT20D) decal on each fender.  It appears that they were similar to the ones on the later QT series tractors and others like the H14XL, etc.

Since the HDT was only supposed to be sold overseas, there is very little info on them over here.  I'm hoping that some of you folks may have the info I need, or may know of someone who does.

I would like to have pictures of each side, and the H x W of the decals so I can have them reproduced.

I have found one picture of an HDT that has those decals, but they are barely visible.  If you look closely, you can just barely see it on the right fender, peeking out from under the front edge of the seat.

I'll attach it so you can see what I'm talking about.

post-342-0-77264800-1419523300_thumb.jpg

Some of the guys here manufacter decals for any machine.

I am sure they can help you

Thats a fine tractor you have there :D

I have a good source for having them made here, but what I need is a picture of them and the dimensions.

I did find another picture that I 'might' be able to use.  It would be a matter of making a SWAG on part of it, but it's better than what I have now.

Here's the one I found.  It was an HDT fender on an HT20, but it's a pretty good look at the decals.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showpost.php?p=1573730&postcount=16

See what you mean now.

Iain on here has an HT23, that may have these decals. Sure he will be long soon to ask

Bolens large frame tractors seem to be quite rare in the UK, even though a few have poped up over the past few years 

The HT23 did not have those decals, nor do they show up on the parts manual.

I know that there aren't that many Large Frame Bolens in the UK, but I thought I'd check with you guys any way.

From what I can find when doing searches in Google, the HDT1000 seemed to have been pretty popular in the Scandinavian countries as I see them show up in for sale ads fairly frequently.

What would be really nice would be to find an old garden tractor forum in one of the Scandinavian countries so I could ask folks from that area.

As you mentioned OldBuzzard, those decals are not on the HT23, or at least they are not on mine. If I remember correctly you sent me a PM on MTF about a year ago asking about HDT1000's in the UK. I did some search then and could not find any trace in the UK.

I believe the UK imported, Howard also imported Bolens into other countries in the world but I am not sure if they imported into mainland Europe, which would be the most like place to find a HDT1000. I will do a few searches in various places across Europe to see if anything turns up. I know from experience that searches from different parts of the world often display different results.

Iain

Yes, the G11 is sometimes called the "Rainbow Bolens", but I prefer to call it the "Sunset Bolens".

Reason being the colors, and the fact that the G11 was the last 'new' model of the tube frame series, and was produced in the last year (1978) that the tube frames were produced.

It's also interesting that the G11 was the only tube frame to have fender decals, and the HDT1000 was the only large frame to have fender decals.

The G11 seems to be semi-rare, and not a lot have surfaced.  I have yet to see one with a 4 digit serial number.

I happen to be fortunate enough to have managed to find 3 of them.

post-342-0-65339200-1420484070_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-83700200-1420484092_thumb.jpg

Actually, I had 4 for just a short time :D :D :D

I traded one to the fella that is doing the refurbish on the HDT1000.

It also had a square back tiller on it.

How many Bolens do you have in your collection. I have seen some of your posts on GTTalk. I agree with Chris, this have whetted my appetite for more Bolens!

How many Bolens do you have in your collection. I have seen some of your posts on GTTalk. I agree with Chris, this have whetted my appetite for more Bolens!

I live in an area in the States where Bolens were pretty popular, and have 17 of those rascals :D :D :D

I'm also retired and willing to travel if necessary for a good tractor or attachment.

Here's a pretty complete list of all of my "Bolens Goodies"

Articulated: Estate Keeper 7 Hp.

Tube Frames: 800, G10-04, G11-01(3), 1256-02(2), H14-02.

Large Frames: 1886-01 w/Forklift 1886-01 w/FEL, 1886-01, 1886-02, 1250-01 (2), HT20D, HDT1000.

Attachments:

Bolens: 38", 42" & 54" decks, TF front blade, LF hydro angle blades, EK, TF & LF Snowcasters, TF front mount PTO, LF hand speed control, LF 540 RPM rear PTO, TF & LF tillers, TF and EK front mount Cylinder Mowers, TF front mount Dethatcher, 12v string trimmer, 12" & 15" wheel weights, front wheel weights, EK rear weight, 18010 & 18086 3-pt hitches, LF Dual Wheel Kit.

Brinly: SH cultivator, SH tool bar, SH Planter, 3-pt 12" Plow, 3-pt disk, TF Dump Attchment, 3-PT A-frame.

Haban: 405A Sickle-Mo, 414 SIckle-Mo, 503 Flail-Mo, 514 Flail-Mo.

Ohio Steel: Sleeve Hitch, SH 10" Plow.

Sweepster: LF Broom, TF Transporter Body.

Other: York Whirley Rake, Gannon Earthcavator, EZ-Vac for TF, TF Soft cab, LF Soft cab, LF Hard cab, Front mount Forklift, Homemade FEL, Mid mount grader blade

Edited by OldBuzzard

Love the pictures and the list of your collection :D :D . I don't think many of the attachments you listed ever made it to the UK and the ones that did are harder to find than the tractors.

You appear to have most of the attachments made although I didn't see the post hole attachment on the list ;) . I scanned your list to see how many I had and it left me feeling hard done by. I would die for a snowcaster and a cab (hard or soft), either for TF or LF.

I noticed from the pictures that one of your G11's a has a front mounted PTO pulley attachment, I was thinking of making one of those as I think it would be a very useful attachment to have.

I have no idea why, but in the UK the G12 appears to be one of the hardest tubeframe's to find. I have one in my collection and they are a fun machine, with the manual high/low belt change of the G10 and the 6-speed rear end of the G14, giving it 12 forward and 4 reverse gears, Are they rare in the US or just the UK?

Bolens information this side of the pond is as hard to find as the tractors and attachments, so please tell us more :thumbs:

Iain

You have a great collection OB! I would love to hear more about your collection including your attachments. I console myself with having a good collection of genuine Bolens brochures including the attachments. Mind you, I do have that Howard Bolens rear PTO driven cylinder mower!

I agree with Iain's comments about having more info regarding Bolens as they are rather thin on the ground here.

Thanks Andrew

Yep, I am missing some of the really exotic attachments.  I would like to find one of the post hole diggers, the trencher attachment, and the front mounted 540 rpm PTO for the tube frames.

The G12 seems to be a but uncommon here as well.  The G9 is another one that is seldom seen, along with the 1257 which was basically a 1256 with a Tecumseh engine instead of the Wisconsin that Bolens preferred to use in most of their tractors.

As for the G12, I think you may have something of a 'Frankenstein' tractor, as all information I've seen on it shows it as having the 6-spd transmission. 

One of my G11's (the one with the snowblower on it) is setup the same way as your G12.  The original owner had transmission problems with it, and after finding out from the dealer the cost of repairing it, decided to transplant and entire 1050 rear end.

That gives it the controlled differential, which it originally lacked, as well as 12 speeds.  In 1st gear Lo/Lo and it just creeps along.  I haven't tried to see how fast 3rd Hi/Hi is yet.

Here's a short video of it in 1st Lo/Hi and then in Lo/Lo  :D :D :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6xbaP1DH6E&list=UU1Uz61LmXc5LyoDSnOOsWBw

Edited by OldBuzzard

I would kill for some of your collection :D

I would love a front loader for a LF tractor. I was told of one years ago, but lost track of it :(

Attachments for bolens are rare in the uk, most are in Iain or Andrews sheds :P

I think Iain's is well ahead of the game! Frustratingly, most of the tractors and attachments are up country.

Well, things like the Ransoms aren't exactly falling out of the sky like leaves over here either :D :D :D

Another thing that would tend to make Bolens fairly rare is that they were pretty high priced tractors.  In their day they were pretty much the best of the best, and their pricing reflected that.

For instance, My 1980 HT20D had a FOB price of $5,400.00 just for the tractor.  A 54" mower deck was another $760.00.  That's $15,475.92 and $2,178.09 in todays dollars.

The HT23 petrol tractor was a bit cheaper at $4.500.00 or $12,896.60 in todays dollars.

Now with shipping, taxes and/or tariffs, anyone over there buying a Bolens would have to be fairly well off I would think.

I would kill for some of your collection :D

I would love a front loader for a LF tractor. I was told of one years ago, but lost track of it :(

Chris, I think you are just laying a smokescreen to cover the fact you have more LF tractors than anyone else on this forum :P I know someone who has a FEL on a LF and you just would not believe how much he had to pay for the tractor and loader.

Well, things like the Ransoms aren't exactly falling out of the sky like leaves over here either :D :D :D

Another thing that would tend to make Bolens fairly rare is that they were pretty high priced tractors.  In their day they were pretty much the best of the best, and their pricing reflected that.

For instance, My 1980 HT20D had a FOB price of $5,400.00 just for the tractor.  A 54" mower deck was another $760.00.  That's $15,475.92 and $2,178.09 in todays dollars.

The HT23 petrol tractor was a bit cheaper at $4.500.00 or $12,896.60 in todays dollars.

Now with shipping, taxes and/or tariffs, anyone over there buying a Bolens would have to be fairly well off I would think.

By coincidence I have a Bolens UK price list from Jan 1980 and I quickly took a picture of the LF page. This may help to answer the HDT1000 question because the only LF's for sale in the UK at that time were the HT22 and HT23.

Using an online historic price calculator an HT23 would cost £13,708 and a HT22 £16,140 before taxes at today's prices. I guess the nearest comparator today is a John Deere 1000 series and you could buy 1 and a half of those for the price of a Bolens. I didn't check for an online historic currency convertor but if one exists it would highlight the difference in costs in the UK compared with the US.

post-276-0-35470400-1420635323_thumb.jpg

As you mentioned, they were best of the best in the day. It is a shame that Bolens decided to reduce the quality in order to try to compete on price with manufacturers of less capable equipment.

Iain

That is a very interesting list :thumbs:

The HDT1000 would not be on that list as it wasn't produced until 1982.

The HT22 was the export version of the HT20D sold here in the states.

It would be interesting to see a picture of the dash of an HT22 to see if they were in multiple languages as were the ones on the HDT1000.

Edited by OldBuzzard