nigel

BOLENS RIDEAMATIC

Here's some info I got about the RAM

#11 Bolens Ride A Matic: post #11 gunstuff1000 OFFLINE

Looks like a great buy and a nice complete tractor you got both belt guards and I see it had the rear trailer hitch as well. That was an option You got a nice tractor there! Honesty it's probably the best ride-a-matic if your going to actually use it because it has the geared rear end.

Bolens800uk, on 27 Feb 2015 - 12:51 PM, said:

There's some debate as to whether the original colour on 'my' RAM is cream? Was there a cream colour RAM available in the Dtates or for export? There are gold coloured ones in the UK and green ones too but cream?!

No, never a cream color

The metallic gold when it fades tends to get lighter and have a "cream" appearance sometimes.

The pic I posted is the original color scheme.

i had another look today, it was origanly gold (under the cream paint ) ime very impressed with the lifting hitch it would lift a plough no problems and with a set of wheel weights ( and george driving it ) it would plough well i think its got about 12 forward gears its a very nice bit of kit

I have a set of rear wheel weights for the Bolens. They have FMC embossed on them. I will post some photos shortly.

Best to hang on to those.  They are fairly uncommon.  Most have BOLENS cast into them.

I've seen some with nothing on them, and one of my G11s have OLDA cast on the weights.

post-342-0-59643800-1425227627_thumb.jpg

Edited by OldBuzzard

Yes, I was lucky with them; I paid £50 for them. The seller just listed it minutes earlier and I snapped them off him. He couldn't be live it. He was the same chap I bought the plough off too. I collected it from Kent a few weeks back. I smuggled them in the secret load bay of the family car. My wife commented how much better the car handles when she took over the driving enroute home. I muttered something about the importance of having the correct tyre pressure.....

I have a Dodge 4x4 pickup truck, and pickup's are notorious for bad traction in the winter due to the lack of weight on the rears.

I have a Brinly 3-PT plow in the bed right now and it does help  :D :D :D

OB, do you know why the G11 had the rainbow decals on them?

I would love that snow blower too. There was one for sale in the UK yesterday and sold for £56...... See post under shows for details.

I have a Dodge 4x4 pickup truck, and pickup's are notorious for bad traction in the winter due to the lack of weight on the rears.

I have a Brinly 3-PT plow in the bed right now and it does help :D :D :D

I have a Toyota Hilux pickup with the same issue. You havej given me an idea about the ballast for the rear. Another Bolens tractor, perhaps a Husky Pup, will cure this dangerous problem I think

OB, do you know why the G11 had the rainbow decals on them. ...

As with a lot of "Things Bolens did", no one seems to know.

Now this is just conjecture, but I think there may be some shred of truth in it.:

The G11 was produced in 1978 which was the last year of the tube frame production, and it was the last new tube frame model produced.

I think that the decal colors, which just happen to be the colors of a sunset, were chosen to represent the sun setting on the tube frame line.

That is why I prefer to call it the "Sunset Bolens" rather than the "Rainbow Bolens".

Whatever the reasoning, the G11 really stands out with it's striking decals which are unique.